crap accidentally deleted something!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
I accidentally deleted my movie folder because I moved it to the desktop by dragging the movie folder from the sidebar onto the desktop. Then I deleted that on the desktop since I thought it was a duplicate. Then I went to click on movies and it said it could not be found!!! Is there anyway to restore what I deleted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Have you emptied trash yet?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes :( i hope this is possible! so upset now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I've never done this myself, but I think you can recover the app from your install CDs, restart off the install CD and choose the movie app from the list, I am not specific cause the look off install CDs can vary

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think he throw out the movie data folder, not the application. If that is the case, I believe you are out of luck. You will have to recreate whatever you had in that folder.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah anybody know how to recreate the movie folder? Like in the sidebar how will it look like it was with the movie picture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
well, create a new folder, name it movies, and change the icon, though the original icon is not available unless you have a friend email it to you or something, as far as the contents of the folder, youre outta luck, unless you had norton utilities 8 installed already when it was deleted. you can also do an archive and install of the os to get that folder back, though thatd be a last resort IMO.:mac:

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do I find the icon. A friend does have it a pb. How do I change the icon? So should I get norton utilities 8? Will that make it that you can recover things accidentally deleted? I tried doing this thin called virtual lab paid 135.00 and it did not work! They won't give me a refund so I am dealing with my bank. Don't use virtual lab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
terpfan said:
how do I find the icon. A friend does have it a pb. How do I change the icon? So should I get norton utilities 8? Will that make it that you can recover things accidentally deleted? I tried doing this thin called virtual lab paid 135.00 and it did not work! They won't give me a refund so I am dealing with my bank. Don't use virtual lab.
dont get norton utilities, unless you often accidentally delete important files, norton products recently hav gone to crap and cause more damage than good. and yes, that would allow file recovery.select the folder with the icon you want, go to file/get info, in the get info window, click the icon in the top right area, it should be the music folder icon, go to edit, hit copy, then do get info on the folder whose icon you wish to change, click the icon in top right area and then click edit, and paste, thats it. refer to screenshots.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok cool so its a jpg file or something. You think I could have my friend copy it and paste it to the desktop and then email me the jpg file? or could one of you maybe post it? Thanks a lot macman.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, someone would make a simple text doc or something, and change its icon to the music folder, then email that file to you. give me your email, and Ill do it. anyway, once you have that file, you change your music folders icon to that icon as I described earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Guys....if he drug it off the sidebar like he said, then all he did was erase the shortcut (icon) to the movies folder. The only way he could have killed his movie folder, is if he drug it from inside a finder window. The sidebar can't move files around...only aliases.

The easy way to tell, is to click on your "Home" folder and see if "Movies" is still in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
terpfan said:
I accidentally deleted my movie folder because I moved it to the desktop by dragging the movie folder from the sidebar onto the desktop. Then I deleted that on the desktop since I thought it was a duplicate. Then I went to click on movies and it said it could not be found!!! Is there anyway to restore what I deleted?
true, I thought when he said he deleted it on the desktop, he meant in the finder.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I also thought the same thing as Macman.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah no i accidentally dragged the little icon on the top of the window. So that moved my folder from my home folder to the desktop. Thinking that what I moved on the desktop was an alias, I deleted it. Then I emptied traash and as it said erasing hundreds of files i realized crap. Oh well, its nothing that can't be replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
To make it so it has the icon all you have to do is make a folder called Movies in your personal folder(the one that says your name). I did this once. Sucked so much couse i had like two jobs on it. :bomb:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.