problems installing windows xp

Reaction score
hey, ive been tryin to install windows xp on my macbook pro cause i need to run a cad program on windows for a university assignment.

so ive run boot camp and divided my harddrive and stuff, but when i put my windows xp disc in, it stops my keyboard from workin, so i cant press enter when it asks me if i wanna continue with the instalation.

does anybody know what the problem could be? ve tried it like 6 times now and it aint workin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
camillo,

Don't know why it wouldn't work, but if you have a wireless mouse, hook it up and I think you'll beat that problem. If you don't have one, borrow one until you get XP installed. If that doesn't work, I hope someone else here can give you a better answer.

If you still can't get it to work, call Apple and ask whasup...

Noel

OP
C
Reaction score
tried hookin up an external keyboard jus for the instalation and it didnt work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Make sure that you don't have any USB devices connected and ensure you have a full version of XP including SP2

OP
C
Reaction score
ok this is getting really annoying, ive now got a full version of xp wit sp2 but still, when i put the disc in and try to install it, it will come up wit the screen saying press enter to start setup and my keyboard dosnt work so i cant press enter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you using the old boot camp beta? or boot camp built into Leopard? This seemed to be a fairly common problem with early versions of boot camp so make sure you're up to date with software updates etc.

Can you elaborate on the XP version you've got? Retail, generic OEM, pc manufacturer OEM, home, pro, 32bit, 64bit etc.

Edit:
If all else fails and you have access to another windows PC or a windows VM you could create an Unattended install from your XP disc. nLite automates the process for you. You basically enter all the install details into the nLite tool (serial no, name, region, file system etc) and it creates a windows install script. Merges this with your install files and burns a new bootable disc that needs no manual intervention and therefore no need for the keyboard to work!

OP
C
Reaction score
im using the new version of bootcamp dat comes wit leopard, and i got a windows xp pro version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im using the new version of bootcamp dat comes wit leopard, and i got a windows xp pro version

Sorry still need to know if it's Retail, generic OEM, pc manufacturer OEM, 32bit, 64bit etc.

Don't mean to be pedantic but some versions of XPSP2 just aren't suitable for bootcamp which is why I need to know details. Same goes for whether you have all the software updates in place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrplow,

The Boot Camp Installation & Set-Up guide says,

"Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate. Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows."

Doesn't really say anything about Retail or OEM, etc... So way is that an issue?

Noel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
mrplow,

"Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate. Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows."

Doesn't really say anything about Retail or OEM, etc... So way is that an issue?

Noel

I don't believe it is an issue. I installed an OEM copy of XP Home without any problem whatsoever. The original poster has hardware problems or possibly has something hooked up to his Mac that's interfering with the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrplow,

Noel

It's an issue because you can't use some manufacturer OEM discs, you can't use upgrade versions (as you point out) and if you do a bit of research there are many people having this problem, many have solved it by using a different type of XP install disc!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe it is an issue. I installed an OEM copy of XP Home without any problem whatsoever. The original poster has hardware problems or possibly has something hooked up to his Mac that's interfering with the keyboard.

I didn't say you couldn't use OEM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've read further into this and it really seems to be an issue with the XP installer and the version of the built-in keyboard drivers. Regardless of the "Boot Camp Installation & Set-Up guide" - which can't cover every eventuality - not all XPSP2 discs are made equal.

I'm not saying that there isn't a hardware problem here but surely we're best trying to find a software solution before so tech starts ripping keyboards out?

Have a look here as an example - this isn't the only site with this kind of info out there.

Other contributers to this thread may come up with something else to assist you but, for what it's worth, here are my suggestions:
1. Get a newer XPSP2 disc
2. Get an older XP disc and slipstream SP2 from a newly downloaded standalone installer
3. Create an unattended setup with nLite - that way you won't need the keyboard during installation.
4. Wait til the 29th and slipstream your current disc with SP3
5. Try a few different USB keyboards and hope you hit on one that works

The only problem with ideas 2-4 is that you'll need access to an existing Windows installation to run the tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrplow,

So basically you can't install a Dell XP OEM or an HP XP OEM, and similar, but you can install an XP OEM that you buy retail to use in a new computer. And that makes sense...

I haven't installed mine in Boot Camp yet (probably will this weekend) but I bought mine from Newegg - new and sealed, XP Home, SP2. I don't expect any problem with that version. If I do, I'll let you all know.

Noel

OP
C
Reaction score
ok its fixed i got windows xp running now, the problem was it wasnt an sp2 version, thanks for all ur help.

i do however have another problem now. when im using mac os x it connects to my wireless network fine with no problems, however when im using windows xp, it wont connect. my ip address is stuffed up all the time on it. how can i fix it? does anyone know?

Reaction score
Have not had that issue with my wireless (in Fusion or in Bootcamp when I used it). Just to close the prior discussion, generic OEM XP discs (e.g., from Newegg which is incidentally where I got my version of XP Pro 32) work but manufacturer-specific OEM discs may or may not work, or so it has been reported here. Glad you got it installed - can you tell us what the issue was for the benefit of others who may read this thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrplow,

So basically you can't install a Dell XP OEM or an HP XP OEM, and similar, but you can install an XP OEM that you buy retail to use in a new computer. And that makes sense...

Noel

It makes perfect sense from the of manufacturers point of view. They customise the installs for thier kit specifically so you can't install it on other machines amongst other reasons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
camillo, mrplow, etal,

I just finished installing XP using Boot Camp and I had a couple of interesting times to report on the way to success...

First off, I have a lot of experience installing Windows on computers. I build my own and have been installing Windows for many years. That helped me get through Boot Camp today.

I started the install and it seemed my Macbook didn't want to recognize my OEM copy of XP. I tried it 2 or 3 times before it accepted the CD and started the install... whew, thought I had a bad CD or the wrong type of XP... After the install started, it went along quietly until all of a sudden, the screen turned white and the computer spit out the XP disc. I re-inserted the disc and the install proceeded after it asked "Boot from CD?" and I just ignored that. It did it another time the same way... and I responded the same way.

That's because when you install XP on a Windows machine, XP re-boots twice during the install. On the Mac, it acts differently and spits out the CD instead or just re-booting...

So, just ignore the CD when it ejects - just keep putting it back in and DON'T click on it when it asks "Boot on the CD?"

If you just add this note to your Boot Camp Installation and set-Up Guide, you'll do fine.

Good luck, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
camillo,

I got the network going in Windows by using the Wizard in the Control Panel. I just went through the Network setup and also by using my network key to set up my router WEP key...

It will work, you just have to keep after it.

Good luck, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz 2GB RAM, Aluminum Imac 2GB RAM 500GB HDD, Dell Insprion 5160, 512mb Ram, Windows XP
I have SP2 and installed it on my Imac. Since you have a macbook pro, i suggest using Parallels or VMware FUsion to Emulate XP. ON my 2.8ghz and 2GB ram imac, XP SP2 Works fine. BUt dont expect to game on it, since emulating gives a crappy emulated card. XD Also, you can try to use an external WINDOWS keyboard. the Windows installer may not have drivers for YOUR keyboard, but it did for mine :D So, emulate i guess. I C program using Visual Studio Basic, and everything but games run fine when i compile the program. So, good luck ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.