spotlight index of AFP network share

Reaction score
I've got an external NAS device running the AFP protocol, so to my Macbook this is a Mac Server. I tried using Spotlight to find a few files on that network share but it didn't work. A few sites suggest using the mdutil in terminal so i tried this:
- sudo su
- cd volumes
- --> i can see the two network shares
- mdutil -i on /Volumes/<sharename>
- -->i can see "Indexing enabled" for that volume/share

but Spotlight doesn't flash or give me feedback (i think it's supposed to do that).

When i install the "Spotless 2.0" tool (which allows better and more Spotlight management), i can only see the local Macbook HD. Is this a limitation of the shareware version? I don't think so.

So, according to the mdutil, indexing is now enabled on the network shares, but still i cannot find any file located on that share, even when i just search on a filename (i/o file content).

The user with which i'm logged on to my Macbook has permission to read/write the network share.

I'm stuck... can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can't help with your overall problem but as for Spotless 2.0........According to the Spotless 2.0 website multiple volume management isn't available in the trial version.

"The Background Processing, Administrator-free, Dialog-free, Spotlight Menu options, Live Updating and multiple volume control features are only available to registered users."

mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.