osx freezes at "login window starting"

T

tmaruca

I am using a pbook 17" osx 10.3.5. when it boots it gets to the "login window starting" with the progress meter almost all the way to the right then it just stops. the meter is moving but not progressing. I have ran Diskwarrior, Norton disk utilities and repaired disk using startup disk. In firewire mode I threw away the login plist from the root/library/preferences.
any ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Have you installed any new software or hardware recently? also, try starting up while holding shift to boot in safe boot mode, if the mac starts up all the way, theres an extension conflict. also, try repairing permissions by booting from the panther install disk 1.:mac:

OP
T

tmaruca

No new installations, the only mode I can boot into is single user mode, unfortunately I am not a command line wiz so that is not real useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
In single user terminal type /sbin/fsck -fy until ***file system changed*** stops showing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Do you have any reason not to do a full install from your CDs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
I had the exact same problem after a system crash. I tried all the usual methods of fixing my Alu PB 15" but eventually got it working by starting in safe mode (hold down 'Shift' on startup) & deleting the 'loginwindow.plist' & the 'com.apple.loginwindow.plist' from both the HD Library Preferences & my Home Library Preferences. I then did a Permissions Repair & it started up. Hope this helps.

OP
S

seanicus

I am having the same problem. I got it to start rebooting in Safe Mode, but it still froze at "login window starting"....

OP
R

Racing666

try zapping the PRAM...hold command, option, P and R at the same time and power on the machine...hold it for about 10-20 seconds, then let go and try that....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.