Problem restoring from Time Machine

Reaction score
I have an iMac 10.5.2 and recently purchased Time Machine. This evening I mistakenly deleted part of my iCal. I wanted to restore it from Time Machine but I have had no luck. I have only been a Mac user since December 07 and it was a great pleasure saying goodbye to Windows. Hopefully there is someone who may be able to tell me what I have done wrong. As a side bar, I have read mixed reviews about Time Machine and am starting to think I may have made a mistake. I cannot use it as my wireless router because there is no input for the tel input.

Reaction score
Unfortunately iCal does not have built-in Time Machine support (like iPhoto or Mail) where you can invoke Time Machine from within the program and then go back in time. However, you can go to the place in the Finder where your iCal calendars are stored. This will allow you to go back in time to grab a previous version of the calendars. The calendars are located in ~/Library/Calendars/. I'd recommend recovering the whole "Calendars" folder from a previous time, rather than the individual calendars because the calendars are rather cryptic in their names.

iCal resources are located in several locations. They are:

~/Library/Application Support/iCal/
~/Library/Calendars/
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
A couple weeks ago I did a complete system restore and relied on Time Machine to restore all of my data. For some reason, Time Machine only restored my data since January 23rd of this year. I have no idea why and I have not been able to recover all the data I had between that time and the time of the restore.

I don't completely rely on Time Machine any more. Hopefully it'll still be good for going back and getting things I accidentally deleted, but I now have a redundant backup of my entire drive just in case I need to restore again.

Reaction score
I agree with you fleurya. Time Machine is not something I would totally depend on my data, files, etc to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Time machine is the biggest load of garbage ever. I have had to do a system restore from time machine and to be honest a little 10 year old would have done a better job by himslef rather than using this load of rubbish. I have spent the whole day just fiddling with files/folder and apps etc etc to get it back to anything normal.

Can someone recommend a decent an alternative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.