DVR to Computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
So the scenario is: I have a dish network dvr 625 and would like to get the movies off of it.

I have done alot of browsing on the internet and many different forums and all i have found is a lot of theories. Most of have "A" never been tried or "B" are for older models of dvrs.

Oh yeah and lots of- just remove the hard drive

Any One else want to through there recommendations in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Check to see whether there's a Firewire port somewhere. I've seen some DVRs that have Firewire ports specifically for transferring video to computers.

If there isn't one, then your only option is to pull the hard drive. One thing you might want to keep in mind is the possibility of the videos being recorded in a format you can't really use on a computer, though the chances of that are pretty slim. You'll have to worry more about violating your Dish contract or the warranty on the DVR.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, not gonna happen without pulling the drive out of the machine and there are only sporadic reports of success.

Even with their new DVR's that allow you to connect an external drive to the unit for additional storage space. The drives are activated and tied to a particular machine. You can't even carry this drive from one room to another DVR in your own house without placing a call to Dish and having the activation code moved from one machine to the other.

With the external drive, it will allow you to move your existing saved movies to the external. While I have not checked this far yet, it may be possible to have several drives that are used for backup in this way. And at the price of drives nowadays, it's really not that expensive. A 500 GB drive will save approx 175 SD movies or 25-30 HD movies.

OP
Likugha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
what i now there- the video are saved mpeg2, there is usb port on the back, and I want tivo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.