Time Capsule WiFi speed painfully slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
Hello. I've just bought a 500GB Time Capsule which I have connected to my 3COM ADSL modem/router/firewall with a Cat 6 cable. The Time Capsule has a Cat 6 connection to my Intel iMac and a wireless 802.11n (b/g compatible) connection to my MacBook. There are two 802.11g AirPort Express units on the network (Air Tunes only) and an HP network printer connected via Ethernet. Whilst the iMac shows quick speeds, web browsing and downloading etc on the MacBook is painfully slow. Any ideas? I've tried changing channels etc but no joy. Even switching to 802.11n only makes no difference. Could it be a faulty WiFi card? In case it makes any difference, the iMac is on Tiger and the MacBook on Leopard. Thank you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I have spent the evening playing with different browsers on the two Macs and by running the iMac on WiFi. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the problem lies with Safari or possibly Leopard as opposed to the Time Capsule being faulty. Would general Safari slowness impact on my file download speeds though (e.g. OS X Software Update)? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
is your first time machine backup of the macbook running? If yes, that would explain the slowness of the WiFi. Just make sure your run the first backup with your cable on.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I did the first back-up with cable and it went a treat. This is just general web browsing and downloading updates to the iLife 2008 suite.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari loading sites has nothing to do with download speeds and especially software update. Are you sure you are connected at N speed? In the Applications/Utilities folder open Network Utility. The first tab should show the speed of the wifi connect.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, N-speed is enabled. Clicking the Option and AirPort reveals transmission speed of up to 130. Prior to getting the Time Capsule and upgrading to Leopard, my old network was B/G and seemed noticeably faster.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am beginning to think this is related to my upgrade (from 10.4.11) to 10.5.2: I have just turned off the wireless signal from the Time Capsule and restored the wireless signal on the 3COM router. What used to be a relatively snappy network (despite it being B/G only) seems to be as slow as the network under the Time Capsule. I'm guessing that something in the Leopard upgrade has hobbled the WiFi capabilities of the MacBook. Not a happy bunny.....

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I've swopped the TC box at the Apple Store and (touch wood) it is now running very swiftly. Interestingly, the frequent drop-outs on AirTunes have also stopped. I'm guessing the original TC box had a gremlin in its WiFi chip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
UPDATE:

I've swopped the TC box at the Apple Store and (touch wood) it is now running very swiftly. Interestingly, the frequent drop-outs on AirTunes have also stopped. I'm guessing the original TC box had a gremlin in its WiFi chip!

one of those bad apples i guess

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.