MDD G4 Need some help

Reaction score
Hey guys(gals), My dad just got a new laptop so I went ahead & brought his MDD PowerMac G4 home with me because he no longer wanted it. I have another PC but I was hoping this computer would be good for editing videos from my new sony handy-cam. Here are the specs on the G4...

Machine Model: Power Mac G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.5.7f1

GeForce4 MX:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0184
Revision ID: 0x00a3
ROM Revision: 2032

That might be overkill on the info, but I figured the more the better. Anyways....I have alot of questions but I dont have the time to ask them now. What I really would like to know is does this machine still have the power to do some good video editing (not makeing a new transformers movie or anything) but just some basic stuff. And with I need to up the processor/memory anytime soon?

One additional question, the computer will recognize the camcorder, and I can import the pictures I have on it. But when I try to import the movies (.MPG filetype) iDVD/moviemaker/ and Quicktime wont recognize them?? Im off to work...any input appreciated

Thanks!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
It'll be adequate for editing DV footage. You can upgrade the RAM on the cheap now. Check to see if the movies are muxed MPEG-2; I have a CyberShot that'll do that. If that's the prob you'll have to demux to separate audio/video.

OP
SilverSRT4Turbo
Reaction score
Thanks, would I need software to convert the files or have to change the settings on the camera (not sure if I can)

PS: this comp sounds like a freakin Jet fighter, lol. & im slowly stumbling through OS X trying to figure it out vs XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Mr. Rebadged Neon :p

The MDD Mac is the loudest G4. It's also the least upgradable processorwise. The cheapest non-Apple processor is $400 or more. You could try eBay for a used processor for cheaper but it has to work with the MDD, most don't.

Max the RAM to 2GB, 4-512MB DIMMs.

It should be ok for SD video with an older version of iMovie. A lot of people like the 2006 version anyways.

OP
SilverSRT4Turbo
Reaction score
Dont hate on the ol neon:Angry-Tongue: lol, Its an affordable turbo car with 4 doors (10 month old daughter) plus its good for making all the honduh folks with fart cans look stupid every once in awhile;D.

Anyway, thanks for the links & advice, Im not too worried about the noise cuz my other PC is an older alienware with like 20 fans that also sounds like a wind tunnel. Ill probably leave this mac alone other than some ram, it seems pretty speedy (for how old it is) and im looking to just do some light SD video editing anyway.

Another question, Im running OSX 10.3.9 or sumthing like that But im asuming to get to 10.4/.5 I have to purchase the latest version? Again, im just used to windows update every other week. Alot of the apps ive looked at are made for 10.4 and up.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Yes. To upgrade to 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leapard) you need to purchase the OS. Check the specs for 10.5 to make sure it is what you want. Ditto for iLife 08 as iMovie 08 isn't designed to run on your system and required at least OS X 10.4.9.

If your camera is a regular DV camera with a firewire port, any version of iMovie should be fine, and 10.3.9 should be fine too. You might even get buy with the 768MB of ram also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
leopard ran just fine (great actually) on my powerbook g4 1ghz proc 1gb memory.

and its only about 100 dollars on ebay...

if your a student or a friend is you can also get it from a college store for 69 dollars... thats what i did.

OP
SilverSRT4Turbo
Reaction score
OK im good to go, after some fidgeting around with ffmpegx software & repeatedly erasing the program in the trash after trying to move it to the Apps folder I got my movies to convert to .MOV & now im off to mess around with iMovie:D

I also realize my questions were kinda redundant after searching around lol, thanks for the help tho;D

Ill be back after I mess something up:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.