iBook battery life while playing DVDs

Reaction score
Apple says 6 hours, I assume it wouldn't be a full 6 hours if you are watching a DVD, Anyone have a good estimate of how much you'll get when watching a movie?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will not be getting 6 hours playing DVDs. Depending on the processor, I would say less than half.

C

code777

no way, i was watching "Iron Monkey" the other night on my 12" iBook G4 and it is about 1/2 that. 3hrs maybe a little more but not 6hrs!

OP
M
Reaction score
Long enough to watch a movie though right? My PC laptop couldn't make it to the end of Return of the King.

T

tariq

if you want even more battery life, while you're connected to AC, rip the DVD using 0SEx or MacTheRipper (or any other DVD ripper), and then you can just watch it off your hard drive instead of using extra power for the DVD drive.

M

m1k

if you want even more battery life, while you're connected to AC, rip the DVD using 0SEx or MacTheRipper (or any other DVD ripper), and then you can just watch it off your hard drive instead of using extra power for the DVD drive.

That's what I do too, I also use headphones instead of the internal speakers because it cuts down the battery life. Also turning off WiFi saves about 20 minutes... Turning the processor to reduced also greatly helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
tariq said:

Isn't that illegal thanks to the DMCA?

T

tariq

if you own the dvd, it is legal (pretty sure).

its just a backup, you're not making a copy, even if it's illegal, who cares.

C

code777

yeah i watched iron monkey (1.5hrs) and i think i still had at least 40%, well all i know is my iBook didn't go to sleep after the movie as i went online after for another hour and it was still going strong, then i fell asleep.

I also used my Bose TriPorts (don't kill me!) as i don't like the internals at all.

M

Maxp0wer2004

Macworld.com has a good way to extend battery life. I dont know if it would work for the iBook, since it was specially talking about the PowerBook, but here it is anyway:

Important: DO NOT USE THE LAPTOP DURING ANY OF THIS

When you get the laptop, charge the battery until it is full, then unplug the power and let the battery drain. Once it has drained, fully charge it again, and then you are free to use it.

This is long and complicated, but it is good for "stretching" the limits of the battery. Once you have done this, macworld.com says that a battery should last 4.5 hours while playing a DVD.

Do this with every new battery, even your current battery may benefit from this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I hook my iBook up to my projector, plug in my powered speakers and dim the screen to watch a DVD.

But that is just me without a TV and I guess you are talking about watching a movie on the go...

I'd also recommend headphones, reduced battery life, maybe even dimming the screen a notch or two if the lighting allows it and make sure bluetooth and wireless LAN are both switched off...

You should definitely be able to watch a DVD then!

C

code777

Maxp0wer2004 said:
Macworld.com has a good way to extend battery life. I dont know if it would work for the iBook, since it was specially talking about the PowerBook, but here it is anyway:

Important: DO NOT USE THE LAPTOP DURING ANY OF THIS

When you get the laptop, charge the battery until it is full, then unplug the power and let the battery drain. Once it has drained, fully charge it again, and then you are free to use it.

This is long and complicated, but it is good for "stretching" the limits of the battery. Once you have done this, macworld.com says that a battery should last 4.5 hours while playing a DVD.

Do this with every new battery, even your current battery may benefit from this

i did this process only ONCE (and i was using the iBook, i did not just leave it on/sleep mode to drain) when I first bought my iBook last week. Shall i do it again / more frequently???

M

Maxp0wer2004

code777 said:
i did this process only ONCE (and i was using the iBook, i did not just leave it on/sleep mode to drain) when I first bought my iBook last week. Shall i do it again / more frequently???

Since this is used to "break in" a new battery, you should do this when you get the laptop(if it has a new battery), and you should do it when you get a new battery.

If you notice that your battery starts to drain rapidly with less use of the laptop, try doing this again.

Also if this is an iBook with Bluetooth and Airport Extreme, disable them to make battery life more efficient. Since AirPort and Bluetooth are constantly sending a signal, disabling would extend battery life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.