AOL issue

Reaction score
Years ago, I bought an iBook G4, and installed AOL for Mac on it. I could use AirPort and connect wirelessly to the internet with no problem through Safari, however when I tried to access the internet through AOL, I just got a blank screen with an asterisk in the upper lefthand corner. Same with keywords, etc. I called Apple, and they walked me through, and had me find and change some setting. Of course, this was years ago.

Now I have a new Mac Book with Leopard, and I have the same exact problem -- if I try to access the internet through AOL, I can't do it. I get that same asterisk on an otherwise blank page. Of course, this time around Apple says it's an AOL glitch (which I don't doubt), but AOL won't help me figure it out because I have a free account. I can't for the life of me remember what I did all those years ago to fix the problem.

Has anyone out there had the same issue? Of course, the obvious solution is to not access the internet through AOL, but still. I want to be able to should I choose to.

Jen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
AOL hasn't been updated in years and very well may not even be compatible with Intel Macs.

I would venture to say your best and only option is to use another provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Are you running 10.5.2? And did you install AOL fresh, or did you copy it over from your old iBook? (If so, you may have copied a bad installation.)

AOL is still developing their Mac client...it's still in beta (beta 14, at the moment.) They're trying to duplicate Google's success, I think, by keeping it in never-ending beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are you running 10.5.2? And did you install AOL fresh, or did you copy it over from your old iBook? (If so, you may have copied a bad installation.)

AOL is still developing their Mac client...it's still in beta (beta 14, at the moment.) They're trying to duplicate Google's success, I think, by keeping it in never-ending beta.

Well that's interesting to know, I thought they had stopped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
AOL hasn't been updated in years and very well may not even be compatible with Intel Macs.

I would venture to say your best and only option is to use another provider.

Despite my best efforts, my parents use AOL on their Intel MacBook running Leopard. So I know that it does in fact work. They only use the program though, we have DSL internet so it isn't their ISP.

Reaction score
I have an AOL account from back in the day, and when I had dial-up there was a point to using it. Can someone explain to me any benefits to using it on a broadband connection? You're already connected to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I have an AOL account from back in the day, and when I had dial-up there was a point to using it. Can someone explain to me any benefits to using it on a broadband connection? You're already connected to the internet.

Generally people keep using AOL because a) they don't know any better or b) it's just familiar to them. I've explained to many people that they don't need AOL if they have broadband, and they didn't know that. AOL of course isn't going to explain it to anyone. Some don't like getting their mail through the website, so they continue to use the client.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.