Installed Os X Leopard twice, How do i find old volume

Reaction score
We just recently got Mac Leopard and installed it about a week ago updating the mac from the previous Os x Version, my son has gotten hold of the disk and it would seem he has installed it again.

The old user accounts can be transferred over using the migration assistant but this seems to leave all the files on the old volume too and does not free up disk space. My question is how do I either:
A) transfer the old accounts to this volume and delete the old volume or
B) Delete this volume and go back to using my old one

I looked in disk utility but it all seems to be 1 partition. ( I am a recent windows convert and was lured to macs because they are now intel based and am still in the basic stages of how the utilities, etc. work).

If you need any extra information to aid me in fixing this problem let me know and ill happily supply it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If all you see is one partition, then I'm afraid that's all you have. If, by chance, you did have more than one partition, then they all would be mounted as available hard drives. If you have your Finder set up to show the hard drive volumes on your desktop, then you'd see one icon for each partition.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmmmm, Well if thats the case, how do i free up the extra memory on my hard drive that my hard drive claims to be in use (50 gig is used up on those accounts i mentioned which can be transferred using migration assistant, but this leaves 80 gig of my 150 gig hard drive unaccounted for, as it says I have aprox. 20 gig free at the moment)

As of this moment no accounts have been transferred yet.

Sorry if im not being clear, having a bit of difficulty explaining it.

Reaction score
I must be missing something, if all of your user accounts are on the same partition, then Migration Assistant isn't going to work. It isn't even necessary because the accounts are already where they should be. Are the accounts in the Users folder?

Reaction score
Nope, no accounts are in the users folder. Are volumes different to partitions?
Pretty much, a hard drive is the physical piece of equipment, you then partition the drive into formatted volumes. Sounds like you have one drive with one partition formatted in HFS+ for your Mac. That is a good thing. Your accounts need to be inside the Users folder. However, if they aren't in there, dragging and dropping them might not work.
What exactly is in the Users folder? Where are your other user accounts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmmmm, Well if thats the case, how do i free up the extra memory on my hard drive that my hard drive claims to be in use (50 gig is used up on those accounts i mentioned which can be transferred using migration assistant, but this leaves 80 gig of my 150 gig hard drive unaccounted for, as it says I have aprox. 20 gig free at the moment)

As of this moment no accounts have been transferred yet.

Sorry if im not being clear, having a bit of difficulty explaining it.

How do you even know those accounts are still there? Look under /Users and make a note of the directories there. Do any of them say "Deleted Users", or something like that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.