Something to replace notepad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1Ghz C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I thought TextEdit would do the trick and for the most part it seemed to, but as soon as I had to open the file on a Windows PC I ran into problems.

I wrote out some html coding and tried to keep it organized. When I open it in windows it is completely unorganized, and has weird boxes. The file still works, it just doesn't look nice any longer. This is a problem when I'm presenting the file in front of a class, or trying to turn some work in..

How would I go about fixing this, or is there a program that would work better then TextEdit? The idea of installing Windows just to use notepad seems very wrong.

Reaction score
TextWrangler is soon becoming my favorite text editor. It colors the code, which is always helpful, and best of all it's free.

I just did a little test. An html file I had opened fine in WordPad, but looked a mess in NotePad.

I don't get Windows :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
TextEdit will work just fine. The problem is you need to change the format it's saving in. Change the defaults to "Plain Text".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
When you go to save click Save As and than change the file format to Word 2007 or 97.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
TextEdit will work just fine. The problem is you need to change the format it's saving in. Change the defaults to "Plain Text".
that may be, but it's find/replace function seems to work lousy for me. I've searched for patterns I was staring at with no hits.

Besides, I've been looking for something more along the lines of Ultraedit or Textpad, which are a bit more.. visual.. than Textedit, or vi.. and it looks like TextWrangler may fit the bill. Thanks! :)

edit: Okay, maybe not. Find is still sucking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I thought TextEdit would do the trick and for the most part it seemed to, but as soon as I had to open the file on a Windows PC I ran into problems.

I wrote out some html coding and tried to keep it organized. When I open it in windows it is completely unorganized, and has weird boxes. The file still works, it just doesn't look nice any longer. This is a problem when I'm presenting the file in front of a class, or trying to turn some work in..

How would I go about fixing this, or is there a program that would work better then TextEdit? The idea of installing Windows just to use notepad seems very wrong.
Are you trying to show the HTML or render it through a browser? I believe TextEdit, by default, saves in RTF. To display the code, you'd want to save it as plain text and, of course, to render it in the web browser, HTML.

Minutes later....

I stand corrected. I just wrote a basic HTML code that, if saved a HTML, would display. I saved it in RTF and it and the code displays just fine. I have a feeling this has something to do with Mac/Windows compatibility. I'd save the documents in HTML and open them on the PC with a text editor.

OP
ecodisk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1Ghz C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I saved it as a .html file, so that it would display in a web browser. When I tell it to open in notepad I have the issues, also when I go to view the page source in IE or FireFox I have the same problem. It displays the page I wrote just fine, but not the code.

As for changing it to plain text, I had to do that to get it to work in OSX. When I was originally writing it I couldn't get it to open as a web page on the Mac until I told it to be plain text, so it was saved as plain text before I transfered it to the Windows machine.

Sorry I forgot to include this info, I was a bit frustrated when I wrote my first post. It kinda just shot me in the foot when I was doing a presentation. :p

Oh, and thanks for the TextWrangler suggestion, I'm going to go test that right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would also strongly recommend BBedit

You can download BBedit lite for free and it is set-up to help coders write html etc

edit: lite is no longer developed, but BBedit is shareware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I would also strongly recommend BBedit

You can download BBedit lite for free and it is set-up to help coders write html etc

edit: lite is no longer developed, but BBedit is shareware

The free version of BBEdit is called TextWrangler. ;) It replaced "BBEdit Lite" several years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use smultron on the mac, but now that I've more figured parallels I'm going to try loading notepad++

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
Bean is a really good text editor. It's similar to Word but free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
I think it's important to understand the underlying technology to be able to help. Most word processing programs add formatting to a document. Like if you save a Word document and try to open it in notepad, you'll see little squares all over the place. This is where Word added formatting to the document, and very basic editors can't translate that formatting. And it doesn't matter if you do any specific formatting of your own, the program will add it's.. touch.. anyway when you save.

I can't fully answer this on the Mac side of things regarding programs, but you will want to look for a flat text editor.

I did a quick search on google, and this may help: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106212

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
I suppose this is where one would have to match the Cocoa appeal with Aquamacs Emacs... but I like my GNU/Linux-identical, dated Carbon look. Though, to be fair, I most enjoy using it from the Terminal. :p

Ooohh...Aquamacs...it does look really nice... :)

Now if I could just get rmail to work :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I know you can get mutt working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
I've fallen in love with TextWrangler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Subethaedit and Textmate are my editors of choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.