fairly new ibook owner

R

rxfx101

howdy! names rich. recently got an ibook from a friend. its a 12" g3 500mhz 192mb RAM 30gb HDD. already replaced keyboard and have an airport card coming. along with 512mb of RAM (total 576) and 100gb seagate hard drive. i want to upgrade my processor and did a search and determined that removed the proc is impossible due to the fact that it is intergrated with the motherboard. so.. i want to know what are the differences between the 12" ibooks and what motherboards i can swap in. looks like on the left side i have a modem, NIC, firewire, 2 usb's, and what looks to be a mini usb. on the right side there is cdrom and power. so what can i use? i was aiming for a 900mhz g3. any possible way a g4 would work? thanks!

-rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Umm..I really don't have an answer to any of the questions you asked, but, umm...Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a new iBook, rather than to rip out the logic board and put another in?

OP
R

rxfx101

ApplejustWorks said:
Umm..I really don't have an answer to any of the questions you asked, but, umm...Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a new iBook, rather than to rip out the logic board and put another in?

no, not really.

Reaction score
Apple computers have really good resale value and the new 12in iBooks are very cheap.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I agree with ApplejustWorks. The problem you might run into is that only the motherboard you currently have will fit in to that iBook. The newer or later revisions may not fit.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
C

code777

just buy a new 12" iBook, its well worth the money, my friend just got a 14" and he is thinking about exchanging it tonight for the 12", when he used mine he just said, "Why didn't i just buy the 12? and save myself $300+!"

So he's gonna do what I did (buy the 12 and then add RAM). I told him that he should think it over as the 14 has a large HDD and he likes to save a lot of music but he said nah. I said, don't say i didn't warn you! but he's adding 512 when i only added 256. I must say apples should come with 512 standard, the computers run so much more smoother!!!! at first i didn't think it mattered but having 512 makes a difference over the stock 256!

good luck

OP
C

code777

my friend exchanged his 14" for a 12" last night and got a credit of $300 or so back - he spent the credit very wisely (sort of, I told him to just buy aftermarket RAM but...) he got another 256 for $100 and then bought an Apple Mouse for $50 and then bought a D-Link Bluetooth adapter for $40, and a leather case for $100 and then bought me food at the local Panera Bread. I think he just wanted an excuse to try out his Airport Extreame. He's lovin' it for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"256 for $100" Could have bought 512 for that price
"D-Link Bluetooth adapter for $40" Could have gotten the internal bto option from apple at that price.

But as long as he's enjoying his 'book...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.