95% of the update is enough? Need help here...

Reaction score
A friend of mine was updating her ibook from 10.3 to 10.3.5. Another friend was helping her, and told her that the update download only needed 95% to really finish. He told her that this was normal, and quit the download in order to save time. Now, Safari, Addressbook, disk utility, and several other programs do nothing. I'm not sure what to tell her. I originally thought it had to do with the problem that is effecting some others concerning the update, so I completed all the "fixes" that were recommended for that problem, however nothing seems to be working.

Two things: First, anybody have pointers on fixing this? Second, has anybody ever heard of this 95% theory? It sounds bunk to me; if it isn't 100%, it isn't complete. I just need to know if I'm wrong here. Thanks.

mike.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
What type of stupid theory is that....95 %.....DUH!........

If you spent all that time getting up to 95 percent, isnt it worth it just to...finish it off.....some people...I just don't get it!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As was suggested use the combo update to re-install 10.3.5. Also don't forget to repair permissions after the update.

Sound like the incomplete download was/is corrupted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If 95% was all that was needed for the update they would have not included the other 5%

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
trpnmonkey41 said:
If 95% was all that was needed for the update they would have not included the other 5%
lol .

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

The guy who told her was a computer science major. He said that this was common, said the last 5% was merely "searching the hdd to make sure everything would fit, it's pretty much useless". So, I'm not a comp-sci major, and figured I must be missing out. I didn't want to tell her that her friend was wrong without having a little back up. Thanks.

mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.