Any one into DJing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 1gb RAM, Mac Pro G5 Dual 1.8GHz 4GB RAM, MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Core2 Duo 2GB RAM
My setup is as follows:
2x Technics 1200Mk2 1x Denon Dn-S3000 Cd turntable. Pioneer DJM 3000 mixer, 1 mac mini running ableton live, 1 Radium 49 Midi controller.

As much as I love vinyl, you have to factor in the cost of the records themselves. It is unusual to spend under $100 per shopping trip, and until you have about 40 records.....well.....

So, much as it pains me to say it, you would have to be a true believer to buy into the vinyl universe if you were starting out now.

http://rapidshare.de/files/39346114/Last_Transmission_from_Sharp_St..mp3.html

Here's a recent mix of mine, "Detroit techno" for lack of a better term is what floats my boat. Always happy for feed back both positive and negative, even just tell me if you listened:D

(first track off the bat is one of mine too, produced before I had the midi controller.It's a mouse and keyboard workout!)

Tracklist:
Darkmelody- Last Transmission from Sharp St.

Darkmelody- Unhinged
Ellen Allien- Sehnsucht
Mark Taylor- Vintage Future
Claro Intellecto- Peace of mind
Aux 88- Frequency
Duplex 100- Keyboarding
Vince Watson- Mystical rhythm
The Knife- Silent Shout
Octave One- Love and Hate
Alexander Kowalski- Pt.1
Futago Technologies- Lifespan
Joris Voorn-Rejected
Quince-Sub 01
Joris Voorn- Dirty Thoughts
Model 500-m69 Starlight

Peace

Reaction score
i have been doing it since 93 and i currently mix live on commercial radio.

here's my set up.

Nice setup. Are you mostly hiphop? Kinda hard to get at your pitch sliders with that desk eh?

Keep in mind that I am not good at it, but I love it nonetheless :) I spin atmospheric drum & bass. Here's my setup:

DSC01563.jpg

I just started to build a home studio of sorts. Still haven't gotten good at DJing :p

I guess I just love gear....

l_d114f12e10898cbbe57e3029186cb876.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.8G, 24", 2 gig ram and it feels good
I had been a dj for 13 years, started in 86. I was thinking about getting back into it but since I sold my 12's and 2500 plus collection of vinyl I was lookin into cd mixing since I have lots of those.

You guys have some nice set ups. What software are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 1gb RAM, Mac Pro G5 Dual 1.8GHz 4GB RAM, MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Core2 Duo 2GB RAM
I had been a dj for 13 years, started in 86. I was thinking about getting back into it but since I sold my 12's and 2500 plus collection of vinyl I was lookin into cd mixing since I have lots of those.

You guys have some nice set ups. What software are you using?
As I said to you in the other thread, Ableton Live and Reason.

My mix (posted above) was done on Ableton Live....

Why not give it a shot?:Cool:

Reaction score
Hmm, I have both a comment and a question...

First off, I've been dj'ing for a number of years, first private house parties and I've started for the past two years to do gigs in Houston from Riches to Redstar. I run dual Pioneer decks with Denon mixer in the middle and sometimes throw in the laptop to rip cds on the fly if I think of some mix I want to run and don't happen to have for an odd reason or another. Personally I've yet to encounter more than ONE dj spinning records anymore, and most I've met now a days are running all digital setups... laptop and a mixer is a beautiful setup to carry around. Riches is one of the biggest clubs in Texas, and almost all the DJ's there that I've worked with and met all use digital, so I'm not sure why this stigma against all digital setups is around cause frankly, they run circles around my CD's in some cases.

Now, My Question:
All you people who DO run digital rigs tho, is I recently purchased the Trackor 3 program and DJ setup, but I can't seem to get it to sound smooth live when I run the rig no matter what I turn off. Is there a way to fix it or should I just get a new sound card that can handle it's crap? (YES I did deactivate even the dashboard and all programs and did all the stuff it says to do). Odd thing is the recording itself always sounds perfect, just the live sound while mixing is skippy and jumpy. I am using a mixer a friend threw my way, figure it doesn't matter because it does it both with and without the mixer plugged up. ANY help would be nice... would like to start spinning all digital but am hating the sound outta this.

(15" MBP runnin 10.4.11 OSX on 2GB of Ram... I'd think that'd be more than adequate but apparently is not. Stock soundcard)

Reaction score
Hmm, I have both a comment and a question...

First off, I've been dj'ing for a number of years, first private house parties and I've started for the past two years to do gigs in Houston from Riches to Redstar. I run dual Pioneer decks with Denon mixer in the middle and sometimes throw in the laptop to rip cds on the fly if I think of some mix I want to run and don't happen to have for an odd reason or another. Personally I've yet to encounter more than ONE dj spinning records anymore, and most I've met now a days are running all digital setups... laptop and a mixer is a beautiful setup to carry around. Riches is one of the biggest clubs in Texas, and almost all the DJ's there that I've worked with and met all use digital, so I'm not sure why this stigma against all digital setups is around cause frankly, they run circles around my CD's in some cases.

Now, My Question:
All you people who DO run digital rigs tho, is I recently purchased the Trackor 3 program and DJ setup, but I can't seem to get it to sound smooth live when I run the rig no matter what I turn off. Is there a way to fix it or should I just get a new sound card that can handle it's crap? (YES I did deactivate even the dashboard and all programs and did all the stuff it says to do). Odd thing is the recording itself always sounds perfect, just the live sound while mixing is skippy and jumpy. I am using a mixer a friend threw my way, figure it doesn't matter because it does it both with and without the mixer plugged up. ANY help would be nice... would like to start spinning all digital but am hating the sound outta this.

(15" MBP runnin 10.4.11 OSX on 2GB of Ram... I'd think that'd be more than adequate but apparently is not. Stock soundcard)

Well i'm goin to a party on friday, itll be turntables. And the Detroit Electronic Music Festival is next weekend, i'd say at least 90 to 95% of the djs there will use records, or serato with records(cept benni benassi:)...come on out and see, theres definitely still a place and market for vinyl or vinyl control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini
Start with more mp3 Dj'ing more simple and cheap

Hi, I have been using Behringer BCD2000 for 2 years. This allows you to DJ on with the mp3s. Cheaper and easier. All you need is a laptop or macbook and the mp3s with the Behringer.
Nothing else, (You don't need a double cd player and mixer)

I recommend you to buy BCD3000 Here is the link. http://www.behringer.com/BCD3000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Reaction score
Well i'm goin to a party on friday, itll be turntables. And the Detroit Electronic Music Festival is next weekend, i'd say at least 90 to 95% of the djs there will use records, or serato with records(cept benni benassi:)...come on out and see, theres definitely still a place and market for vinyl or vinyl control.

I'm not really trying to argue whether a scene is living or dying or what not, I'm more trying to get my question answered to be honest. I'm sure different regions are far different in preferred styles. Mostly laptop rigs and cds are all I see in Houston is all I was saying. I'm sure it's sweet on vinyl. I just want my laptop rig to work so I can actually use it is all I'm sayin really lol. Cause as of right now Traktor sucks horridly in my mind unless someone can tell me how to fix the skippy sound. :[

Reaction score
hey guys, im on the verge of getting a macbook pro but im a little torn on whether to go for a glossy screen or matte/anti-glare screen.

ill be using the macbook primarily in clubs so im wondering about how the strobes and random lights will affect glare and reflections off a glossy screen.

so basically my question is: has anyone ever used a glossy screen in a club? any problems/praise? thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.