movies on AppleTV

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before, and i apologize if thats the case but can you burn your existing DVD's to Apple tv? i have a ton of purchased DVD's that i would like to store in the attic and just burn to the tv, so is it possible?:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unfortunately, ripping a DVD to your computer, from which you can then sync to the AppleTV, is against forum rules to discuss as breaking the encryption on a commercial DVD is a violation of the DMCA, and hence rule #4 of Mac-Forums.

However, if you were to have any non-commercial DVDs, then you could use a program called Handbrake. Just select the AppleTV preset and hit Encode. Add it to your iTunes library and you will then have the option to sync it with your AppleTV

Reaction score
What is the format difference in encoding a video for Apple TV vice iPod vice regular TV? I know the iPod uses MP4 but beyond that not really sure.

Reaction score
I have a similar question, my normal DVD player has died and I am wondering about buying an Apple TV instead. Could I stream the movie from my mac to my TV via the Apple tv? That way I could access iMovie Rental when they are available in the UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, you can stream movies from your Mac to your AppleTV, that is the intended purpose for the device, along with music and pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I have a similar question, my normal DVD player has died and I am wondering about buying an Apple TV instead. Could I stream the movie from my mac to my TV via the Apple tv? That way I could access iMovie Rental when they are available in the UK.

You can stream it if you rip it first, but as mentioned above, discussing how to do this is against the forum rules.

Just to be clear, you cannot simply insert a DVD into a Mac and stream it to an Apple TV. Not yet anyway... ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Just to be able to watch a DVD on your TV from your computer, all you need are the proper audio/video cables.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Just to be able to watch a DVD on your TV from your computer, all you need are the proper audio/video cables.

True, but I believe the question was about streaming a DVD from his Mac to an Apple TV, and that's not something that is supported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.