• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie HD, degrades my content when I add effects?

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know how I can get better results when I add something as simple as a subtitle over an existing video or picture still in iMovie. It seems to really degrade the video or picture quality. I guess it sort of makes sense that it does that since it is trying to embed the subtitle in the Video or Picture, but it is quite a noticeable drop in quality. I created a 720P photo slide show in iMovie and it looks great when I save it to quicktime. I mean it looks fantastic. Then I went back and put a couple of subtitles at the bottom of a few pictures just to signify a change in location and the quality really dropped. The picture is displayed for 5 seconds and the subtitle is displayed for 4 seconds. In iMovie, I can see that it splits the picture into a 4 second a 1 second clip. In the 4 second clip is the subtitle inserted over the pictures, and the 1 second clip is just the original clip. When I re-export to Quicktime, the 4 seconds of the picture clip with the sub title looks low quality and then for one second the picture pop's into clarity. The rest of the pictures in the show look crystal clear. It there a better way to do this. The opening picture of the slide show I used Pixelmator and added title words to the first picture and that looks great. I know that the iMovie fades the subtitle in and then back out so it has to do something different with the subtitles, but man it looks bad.

Would I get better results if I purchased something like Final Cut Express? I find myself doing a lot of home videos, but I really am afraid Final Cut Express is going to be over kill. Though if there are no work around in iMovide HD and Fincal Cut Express does a better job encoding that type of stuff I guess I would consider it.

Thanks,
richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.