iMac issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hello,
I've had my iMac for a little while now and have been trying my best to get acqainted with it .... but .... I'm struggling to get the best out of it.
I know it takes time, Windows user -> Mac user but things are starting to frustrate me now;

> Mighty Mouse - i seem to have to click most things twice for it to register?? should i just buy another mouse?
> NeoOffice (MSOffice alt.) - slow, awkward - hate it! What's the next best without installing MSWord on Parallels
> iPhoto - importing photos from Camera - takes ages, then i couldn't find them!! Why do i have 2 copies of everything? arghh!
> Aluminium keyboard - caps lock button, when typing a paragraph i hit the caps lock on then off as per usual and then look up to the screen and find it didn't activate, then have to go back and start again. It has to be hit twice or more just to react!
> USB connections, not all my USB hardware shows up in Finder when I plug something in, is plug and play only for windows?
> How do i easily pick up an *.avi file and burn it to a disk. Currently I use iDVD magic button but it takes forever to encode/burn etc

I want to love my iMac but it is irritating me at the moment. I am not getting the best out of it at present. I know you don't have to and you might think I'm just winging but please reassure me of the piece of kit I have is great!?!?! Please?

Reaction score
> Mighty Mouse - i seem to have to click most things twice for it to register?? should i just buy another mouse?
Right click can sometimes seem to take two clicks, because you have to take your finger off the left "button" before you can press the right "Button".
But if the left takes two clicks, then you could have a dodgy mouse.
> NeoOffice (MSOffice alt.) - slow, awkward - hate it! What's the next best without installing MSWord on Parallels
If you are used to Word, then Word on Parallels would be your best choice. But my personal choice is iWork and Pages. Certainly not slow and you can still save as a Word doc.
> iPhoto - importing photos from Camera - takes ages, then i couldn't find them!! Why do i have 2 copies of everything? arghh!p
Importing can take ages, depends how many pictures you are importing.
iPhoto by default will store a copy of your photo. In Preferences (I think) you can stop it from doing this.
So I copy my photos to the mac, then import them to iPhoto. By flicking the above switch the photo you are seeing in iPhoto is the original.
> Aluminium keyboard - caps lock button, when typing a paragraph i hit the caps lock on then off as per usual and then look up to the screen and find it didn't activate, then have to go back and start again. It has to be hit twice or more just to react!
There is an intentional delay on the Caps Lock. It's supposed to stop people pressing it accidentally.
> USB connections, not all my USB hardware shows up in Finder when I plug something in, is plug and play only for windows?
Plug and play is certainly not only for windows. I can't say I've had this problem. Depends what you are trying to plug in. Are you using a hub, and if so is it powered?
> How do i easily pick up an *.avi file and burn it to a disk. Currently I use iDVD magic button but it takes forever to encode/burn etc
If you mean make a Movie DVD, then yes it's slow. But it's a slow process in Windows too. I've found iDVD to be ok, it depends on the encoding options. Check the settings.

I want to love my iMac but it is irritating me at the moment. I am not getting the best out of it at present.
Don't forget it's not Windows. So there is a learning curve. But once you get over it (and it's only a small curve if you're willing to except change) you'll never go back.

Reaction score
I have read only a little about the Mighty Mouse, but it's generally considered to be.. not that mighty. I fooled with one at the local computer store recently and wasn't too impressed. There are plenty of other options out there.

NeoOffice is a spin-off of the Mac version of OpenOffice. If you want to keep the costs down (ie. free), you can try OpenOffice directly, from www.openoffice.org. If cost is not too big a factor, you know they make Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, right? It's available from anywhere that sells Mac software, even the Apple Store. For something a little less beefy than Office you can try iWork, which is Apple's in-house app suite they make.

I don't know anything about iPhoto or Aluminum keyboards.

USB should be plug and play. Some devices, especially cheap asian stuff, may not necessarily be Mac-friendly. Most 'testing' these places do is only on Windows. Are particular devices giving you trouble?

For burning, I'd probably just create a burn folder and drop stuff in it. I don't burn discs on my Mac so I'm not sure what your exact need is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
It seems your questions have already been answered but I want to throw a comment in on the Mighty Mouse. I bought one with my MB and, frankly, I still don't really care for it. I'm considering purchasing a Logitech V470 this week as I've heard it is a good one. Just my $.02...

Reaction score
I'll just follow up and say the Mighty Mouse is the best mouse I've ever used. Never had a problem with it.
But it seems to be a Marmite product: You either love it or hate. It either works flawlessly, or doesn't work well at all. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
They make Microsoft Word for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...it seems to be a Marmite product: You either love it or hate. It either works flawlessly, or doesn't work well at all. :)
Agreed! I don't totally hate the MM, but I really like a mouse with separate buttons rather than the solid one piece design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz, 2GB Ram, 880GS Video; 500GB HD
I have only had my iMac for two days but have already ditched the MM. I read many reviews on different sites and got this combo. So far, IMO I like it much better. The keyboard is fine and set up for the Mac, but nothing special.

You can find the combo on amazon for 60 bucks shipped. I spent more for instant gratification at the apple store yesterday.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/158&cl=us,en

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Well, I can honestly say that despite my issues with my iMac the support from fellow mac users is second to none! I really appreciate everyones input and their time taken to reply....Thanks.

spot 1701 - i will persist with the MM for now and take your advice. I will look at iWorks and see if it will do everything i need. I will definitely be unchecking the copy box in iphoto. one copy is all i need. i prefer your way copy to mac then import. at least i know where it is. Can this intentional delay be taken off the keyboard - its v annoying, i'd rather accidentally put it on! I don;t have a hub, i just use the keyboadr usb inputs. I have had issues with a £100 Nikon camera and a £400 fujitsu siemens pda, so it's a bit of both. I just expect i to show up in Finder window. Finally, i hope my learning curve levels out soon and i can start to enjoy life on my mac!! thanks again.
S.subzero - i like the burn folder idea, i will try this. i will also try word for mac too - thanks

Oh well MMM (Marmite Mighty Mouse) :) as long as it's not just me!!
If i can't get used to in the next few weeks, i'll stick it on ebay!!! shame to break up the look though.

Again thanks for all your replies and i hope i come back a really happy mac'er!

Craig

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Josh125 - that logitech set up looks great!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice! I'm thinking of replacing the MM for my MB soon. I've always liked the Logitech product line, but this Kensington mouse looks nice, as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.