iChat Connections & ISP

Reaction score
Hello,
I realise there are stacks of threads about this issue and this is more a general question following some observations over the last few weeks.

A couple of months ago my parents (around 70's) bought a macbook each, lack of virus and garageband were the clinchers... plus the slight advantage that with Leopard screen sharing I could log on remotely and fix their problems!

We have happily been running for a few weeks with regular iChat Video conferences, but I have started to observe a trend.

If we attempt to do an iChat between 6pm and 9pm there are the connection issues where the video (or screen sharing) will not start... usual issues 'no response'.. 'communication error'. I can't prove it yet but was wondering if our ISP (British Telecom in both cases) is actually doing something in peak hours that restricts iChat??

I know we are both getting fast enough links by testing at www.speednet.com, Dad gets 5800 download and 384 up, I get 2800/300.
Those speeds are confimed even during the times when the link will not work.

Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.