Folder icon with question mark

Reaction score
I had my macbook on with a white blank screen today, couldn't get to the login dialog box but the fan is running. When I press the power button the screen turns black immediately, and it turns white again in 3 seconds when I press the power button again.

I'm a new mac-user and it's the first time I had problems with a mac, so I took a pc laptop and tried to read on mac forums and that's why I'm here. I already tried the option + apple key + p + r / option but it didn't work.

However after I tried a few times, a blinking icon of a folder with a question mark on it appears in the middle of the screen (the screen is still white). Does anybody know what it is and what does it mean?

I wonder if I must take my macbook back to the store for repair or if there's anything I can do with it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Take it back to the store or call apple, you probably need a new hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yeah, folder and question mark (as far as I know, could be wrong), means it can't find anything to boot from. Have you tried sticking the OS X disk in and booting from that?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, folder and question mark (as far as I know, could be wrong), means it can't find anything to boot from. Have you tried sticking the OS X disk in and booting from that?

yes...just tried....I tried to verify it and it says that the disk needs repair - I then tried repair but it can't be repaired "becasue of an error"...

is there anything else I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Buy a new HDD.

Or

Call Apple if you're under warranty and see what they can do - but it does sound like you need a new drive.

My boyfriend had this happen with his XP laptop - he ended up with a new HDD, but I can plug his old one into my laptop and still access a lot of his files and things, but nobody can boot from it or take a disk image. Maybe you can still recover some of your stuff.

Reaction score
domakiyip
did you get the problem fixed? i now have the same problem and i dont know how to go about solving it. what did you do and if you required a new hard drive were you able to salvage the data from the old drive?
thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.