Epson R1800 and Airport Extreme Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.8ghz 4gb 500gb 17" gloss
Hello all,

So I just purchased a MBP last week and I am trying to get it to share a printer on the PC desktop I have. It is an Epson R1800. I have been able to get it to print but the settings are basic and I loose control of many options vs. directly plugging it in. I was thinking about purchasing a Airport Extreme and plug it into that and would like to know if anyone has done so and do you get all the driver functionality for quality and paper settings?

Thanks from a newbie who is loving the conversion. THe Mac OS I am finding is so much easier to adapt too.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.8ghz 4gb 500gb 17" gloss
Well I didn't get a reply so I bit the bullet and purchased a AEBS and tried out the scenario myself to find out you can print but the printer settings you get, again, are different then when the printer is plugged into the computer directly and some of the settings make the printer print out quality poor when it should be the best quality.

So I am now deciding do I keep the AEBS or take it back. I think I am better off taking it back and continuing to use my DIR-655 and pick up a AE for streaming audio to my entertainment system.

I know my next stop is a Mac Mini as a print and file server and if that don't work then at least I can remote into it to print with the proper print settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
Well I didn't get a reply so I bit the bullet and purchased a AEBS and tried out the scenario myself to find out you can print but the printer settings you get, again, are different then when the printer is plugged into the computer directly and some of the settings make the printer print out quality poor when it should be the best quality.
Do you use an Epson driver or a Gimp-Print driver ? I use an old Epson Color 850 and no Epson driver exists for OS X or for Windows NT and else. I found the gimp-Print drivers to be excellent (probably better than the original Epson drivers for mac OS9).

Now, the additional functionalities you lose (on Gimp-Print) when you plug the printer to the airport base station are like testing or quantity of ink. You don't need that every day (I don't) and can always connect the printer the day you need them

Also, did you try to connect the printer to your main computer (say to the mac) and enable printer sharing on your network ? Could you then find this printer from the windows machine ? (jus my 2c)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.