Filled it...with nuthin!

S

stickydick

A bit new to the idea of the whole dmg business, I did something silly yesterday. I was trying to move a 5GB file from a dmg file to my desktop, and create another dmg (also about 5GB) on my desktop too. It was all taking some time, so I left and came back to see that I had filled up my mac. I had initially more than 10-12GB of free space, so deleted the halftransferred desktop file, cleaned up with filevault, ran disk utility, macjanitor, and even defragged and have only been able to recover 3GB of free space. What happened to the other 10? I have tried to delete my mistake, but can not see the dmg file that I (half) created...this task never finished as I ran out of room. How can I see what files I have on my mac...

I know, I know, I am dumb. Let the insults roll in!

Reaction score
command-f.....do a search for the filename. Might want to look for invisible files too.

OP
S

stickydick

Hmmm...still stuck

cradom said:
command-f.....do a search for the filename. Might want to look for invisible files too.

Thanks...I tried that. How do I search for invisible files?

This is weird. Adding up all of the file sizes of my desktop, etc. show that I should have 12-14GB free, so it doesn't balance somehow. Biz-arre.

OP
S

stickydick

Found how to do the invisible file thing. Still can't see anything large enough to take up that much space. Another weird thing is happening too...whenever I delete something, the memory available does not increase, and whenever I download something the memory available decreases somewhat. Has anyone else ever filled up their mac like this and had similar problems? Bleee....

Reaction score
The finder is not the most accurate when it comes to showing drive space. I've deleted stuff and the used actually increases. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As far as finding what's using drive space, there is a program called Whatsize that will do that. Check MacUpdate.

ALso check your log files. Do you leave your comp on overnight?
Also 2: it might be swap files. How much memory do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok, when you delete things it does to your "trash" folder in the dock...

This is a safeguard to prevent anything being deleted that you might decide to keep after all.

The files aren't actually 'deleted' until you ctrl-click on the trash and select 'empty trash'

The disc space is still in use accordingly until you've done this...

Reaction score
True...however a search would show the file, in .Trashes, and he cant find it. Also you can empty trash from Finder menu.

sticky, what did you mean "cleaned up with filevault"? I dont use it cause have heard bad things about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
cradom said:
The finder is not the most accurate when it comes to showing drive space. I've deleted stuff and the used actually increases. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As far as finding what's using drive space, there is a program called Whatsize that will do that. Check MacUpdate.

ALso check your log files. Do you leave your comp on overnight?
Also 2: it might be swap files. How much memory do you have?
are you using a swap partition system of some kind? and Ive experienced the finder not updating hd space, try duplicating a file, any size, and see if it affects it, or use system profiler in the utilities folder to check your space.
also try restarting in safe boot mode, by holding down shift while starting up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok sorry for the partonizing suggestion I made, it's just that I've often deleted DVD backups off my external drive and wondered why the space available hadn't been updated (I hadn't emptied the trash).

I do know you can empty the trash from the finder menu btw, but thanks anyway!

I know that application setups leave little signature files in your library somewhere (I believe so that the system can track the currently installed apps), maybe this is something similar - i.e. the .dmg file leaves a library entry documenting it's creation date, size etc.

maybe this is taking up the space somehow because you never finished the creation of the dmg so some of the data was "left" in the library??

Sorry, this is purely suggestive...

Try searching for the filename without the extension maybe?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Aptmunich said:
It's just that I've often deleted DVD backups off my external drive and wondered why the space available hadn't been updated (I hadn't emptied the trash).

If you re-connect your external drive and empty the trash you should see the space return. Since you have not emptied the trash the files still exists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I know, I was just using my problem as an example. I scratched my head for about 10min, emptied the trash and the space returned immediately...

Btw. that programme whatsize is quite useful, thanks for suggesting that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.