Regarding Front Row

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm just about to buy my first mac and was wondering if Front Row will support all media types like, avi. Divx. Xvid. Mpeg's and so on but if not what files types are supported ? Thankyou in advance for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think it'll play anything Quicktime can play. What I don't like is the only thing that'll show up in Frontrow is what you have imported into iTunes, not all the files in your movies folder like the old version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I think it'll play anything Quicktime can play. What I don't like is the only thing that'll show up in Frontrow is what you have imported into iTunes, not all the files in your movies folder like the old version.

You can watch video files that are inside your movies folder...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
it plays w.e. quicktime can play, get the divx codec, perian codec, and flip4mac and it will all run in frontrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Front Row will play any video file as long as the you have the codec already installed. Perian is a great little download that will included almost all codec except Windows versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Front Row will play any video file as long as the you have the codec already installed. Perian is a great little download that will included almost all codec except Windows versions.

and i think its lightweight...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You can watch video files that are inside your movies folder...

LOL oops. I haven't used Front Row in so long, I forgot about the option that goes into the movies folder. I just remembered that only your itunes movies showed up first.

I'm still not a fan of the new front row for a number of other reasons. I liked when you would select a movie preview and it played instantly. Now it takes forever for it to stream through. Maybe it's because the previews are a lot heavier now and my internet connection can't keep up, but I've never had such a problem streaming content before, including HD content. I also don't like that if you exit Front Row the music you have going stops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.