G3 or G4?

S

Sp4rk3

Hey,

I'm terribly sorry if something like this has already been done, but because of my lack of experience with Macs I could really use some help on this. I'm a high school student looking to shed the dead weight of the PC for something more portible and user-friendly (hence the want of an iBook). Next year I am going off to college, and I am going to need a laptop to get me through there. I need all of the basic needs and perhaps would enjoy a game or two, (I'm kinda a FPS junkie). So anyways, back to the original question, I am wondering if I could possibly go for the G3 instead of the new iBook G4. I have seen an 800 Mhz iBook G3 out there for about 400 to 500 dollars less that what I would pay for the G4 model that I would like to have. Here's a list of programs and hardware that I would like to use with my iBook -

-Photoshop, (preferably CS, but I can work with 7)
-Microsoft Office, (I know, I know, it's Microsoft, lol I'm not completely weened off yet)
-Any other of the new iLife programs, (I would like to run OS 10 Panther on it, I was wondering if the new G3's come with this installed on them?)
-UT 2003, (and any other FPS's that I could run, thank you Aptmunich for all of your help regarding this, lol)

Oh, and I have also heard that the older G4s go for a lower price, hence the new iBook's release. Well, in anycase, thank you for your time and I hope that I haven't cluttered up the boards too much, lol.

-Sp4rk3

(P.S. - if you would happen to know where I could get an ibook for a lower price, G3 or G4, that would run all of this, please post of PM me, thanks!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Photoshop and UT2003 pretty much make the choice for you to go up to G4 pretty easy. Both of those are pretty resource intensive programs so you will want the extra processing power. The most important thing overall is to get as much memory as possible. Since you are going to college you should be able to get student discounts and you can also check the refurbed macs for lower prices

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.