I have a dream, is it possible?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
so bootcamp is so cool to me. being able to boot with either partition on my hdd or even a cd if i have it in the drive. i was daydreaming and the thought came to mind, hey, what if i had a partition that was like a gaming console. my friend has a modded xbox and it has like an os loaded onto it. would it be at all possible to load a similar type os onto my hdd, in its own partition and run it on my mac? cuz that would be like the tightest thing ever.

i got to thinking this because of emulators. i read that higher end consoles dont have very good emulators on computers cuz of memory issues, so wouldnt it make sense that if the mac or xp os wasnt running all the computer processing power and memory could be dedicated to the gaming system? is this just stupid not possible or just no one has ever done it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
i think its not possible...

so what you're asking is to run say an xbox on the mac using a partition? :S
i think the xbox os needs to be modded major-ily, and the kernel needs to be modded, and ya its a mess, prob not possible.

and then theres the problem of running it smoothly

it would be cool though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I would guess that it'd have an issue regarding hardware... since the xbox is even more of a single hardware environment than OS X is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
From my understanding, the games are designed to work with that specific setup, processor and video card. This is why the 360 isn't completely backwards compatible. The PS3 is backwards compatible because of the PS2 chip or emulation.

Emulation, no matter how fast the system is will always create a delay. I was under the impression video game emulators were illegal anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
From my understanding, the games are designed to work with that specific setup, processor and video card. This is why the 360 isn't completely backwards compatible. The PS3 is backwards compatible because of the PS2 chip or emulation.

Emulation, no matter how fast the system is will always create a delay. I was under the impression video game emulators were illegal anyways.

they are, but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If they are, the conversation has to end here. Talking about illegal matters is against forum rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they are, the conversation has to end here. Talking about illegal matters is against forum rules.

That's why I am trying to figure out :)

OP
J
Reaction score
they are illegal if you do not own the actual game. i own the n64 games i play so no big deal. its like making copys of dvds, its ok for your own use, but not to distribute.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for dashing my dreams guys... jk. i thought there was some hardware junk that i didnt understand. too bad, cuz that would be soooo freakin awesome to have like an exterior hdd for my computer and to be able to play xbox, with games i own...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they are illegal if you do not own the actual game. i own the n64 games i play so no big deal. its like making copys of dvds, its ok for your own use, but not to distribute.

Actually, copying copyrighted DVDs is illegal even if you own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.