• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iBook going G5 soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I dont think it will be to far away for a Powerbook G5. iBook is a long way off I'm sure. Witht he release of the new iMacs and the Xserv in a 1U case its getting close thats for sure. Keeping in mind that the iMac is only 2" think it shouldnt be to hard to make it work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
PowerBook's have the big problem of powering the laptop processor and heating is still an issue since the G5 still uses large fans

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What I don't understand, why everyone thinks there is going to be a G5 iBook before the PowerBook. If you look at Apple history. You Know, that the iBook will not get a G5 processor until after the PowerBook has one.

Also all of us that own either a G4iBook or a G4 PowerBook know at times they do get very warm. Since the space in a laptop is very limited, heat is a major issue.

My guess would another revision of the G4 processor in both the PowerBook and the iBook line. Only time will tell.

OP
S

StealthMode

Lets face it, no G5 for at least another year. No big deal though, dual core G4's won't be so bad for the meantime ;) I hope they come out in the next revision...

OP
S

sharedog

I'm graduating in June, and hope to get a ibook for a gift. Is a g5 probable? or will they be coming out with another revision of the g4 first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
theyll come out with an ibook revisiosn, itll be at least a good year and a half to 2 if not more before apple releases a g5 laptop.

OP
R

ryanyogan

I know two things that are facts in test and development, I do not know which we will see. There is confirmed rumors of the dual G4 powerbook I know nothing other than the fact that they are toying with this. However I do know there goal was to try and stick a g5 in a 17" aluminum casing. They have not completly ruled out forced induction via whisper fans, they are trying some kind of an air tunnel that travels through the notebook pulling in cold air and a heatsink along this whole tunnel to disapate heat. The other ofcourse which I am sure people in here have heard about is toying with liquid cooling, however a much more complex system. I beleive it used many, many small tubes that go through a heatsink and then travel a very long stretch back to cool the liquid then do the same thing again. This is all in the works of testing, not near production even. I don't know how much I want a 3 thousand dollar notebook using liquid incase I drop it either, then what do you do about the no warranty for liquid damage!!!! I would say you will not see any g5 iBook until 2007 possibly 08 but 07 would be the year to shoot for. The iBook is a value notebook, do you really want the 999 price to jack up to 1,600 base? Most likely that price is unreleastic due to all the technology provided in this. Also the G5m sounds like a great idea however, IBM makes no such thing. If IBM doesn't make the chip yet, then you will not see that for a longgggg time!!! We are talking 2 - 4 years in developing and testing and another year to produce millions of them!!

OP
D

Danster

I dont see why and how apple will bring a g5 laptop anytime soon as people dont really need a G5 laptop cos there are not many applications that ultilize the full potential of the 64 bit super chip for the desktop let alone a portable just making a G5 laptop right now for faster applications seems silly to me i think apple should wait until there's alot of app's that need G5 power for laptops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I love my ibook G4, If in 3 years they make a G5 ibook, I will get one. I think my ibook I am using now will stay with the times for years to come...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
My friend who works at apple says there having trouble cooling the G5 proccesor in such a small amount of space so basically they just have to figure out how to make the cooling system smaller.
I doubt it will be ready very soon.
(lol I no I'm repeating what everyone else said)
I just bought an ibook 12 inch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
I love my ibook G4, If in 3 years they make a G5 ibook, I will get one. I think my ibook I am using now will stay with the times for years to come...

Agreed, well said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.