Not enough Room ?

Reaction score
i have a 250 gb external hd and i wanted to use time machine to back up my 200 gb MBP of which i've used approximately 140 gb but time machine kept giving me an error and saying there was not enough space. There is nothing else on that external drive...are the backups really that big?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have a 250 gb external hd and i wanted to use time machine to back up my 200 gb MBP of which i've used approximately 140 gb but time machine kept giving me an error and saying there was not enough space. There is nothing else on that external drive...are the backups really that big?

It depends on how often you make changes to really large files on your machine. Time Machine does regular (hourly) incremental backups to your files. If you often make changes or add very large files, those changes are cumulative on your backups. So, Time Machine will save each variation of those changes if you keep it turned on at all times.

OP
M
Reaction score
right, but it did the initial run and then on the very next hourly run -i had made no changes to any files- it told it couldn't finish because there wasn't enough room?? thanks for the response...any additional thoughts?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
right, but it did the initial run and then on the very next hourly run -i had made no changes to any files- it told it couldn't finish because there wasn't enough room?? thanks for the response...any additional thoughts?

On your desktop, right-click on the Time Machine volume. Click Get Info. Record the Capacity and Available fields (as shown below) and report back please.

2008-04-20_1005.png

OP
M
Reaction score
ok will do....will take me a couple of days as i am traveling and do not have my drive with me...thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.