Had to get a new Mac after only 2.5 months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I bought my MacBook at the beginning of February, primarily as a secondary machine that would be a nice change of page for Windows. I still spent the bulk of my time on Windows because that's where my development environment is firmly rooted (Visual Studio / C#). Yet more and more I spent time with the MacBook - heck, every chance I got. So I started scheming and planning and today I've set up my new (refurbished) Mac Pro: 8 core, 2.8GHz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB (yes TB) of disk space.

It was really a base 2.8GHz model but memory is cheap from OWC and Newegg happily sold me a couple of Seagate 1TB drives. I have it hooked up to my dual Samsung SyncMasters (1600x1200 each) so I now have ample screen real estate.

After the initial setup I loaded VMWare Fusion on it and copied over my Window XP image from the MacBook. Wow - this runs Windows XP in a window just as fast if not faster than my dedicated Windows XP machine!

Apple certainly knows how to do hardware. I installed the drives on this machine in under a minute. I was so impressed I put a quickie YouTube vid together showing how easy it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xGaTmz2Kk

Buying refurbished directly from Apple also saved me $400 on the machine. Other than the box it came in I could not tell that it wasn't brand new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.