G4 Power Mac Upgrade Question.

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm new to the forum and new to all things mac. I want to buy a cheap G4 Powermac from eBay and make needed upgrades as time goes on (Keep in mind this is for learning purposes). Can a single CPU powermac be upgraded with those dual cpu upgrades like this one? Thanks In Advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums.

Firstly yes you can upgrade a Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio or Quicksilver model with that CPU upgrade. There are quite a few brands on the market so do your research prior to rushing in. Sometimes OWC, a Mac supplier, has specials on their upgrades and personally believe their upgrades with 2MB L3 cache are faster.

Suggest you look for a Quicksilver machine. They have a 133MHz system bus speed , faster than the earlier models which are only 100MHz, and have a 4X AGP slot compared to a 2X.

Max out the RAM to 1.5GB, 3 x 512MB PC 133 Apple compatible low density RAM. Generally the PC RAM on eBay will not work. After that,. if thew readies are holding out, look for a 7200 RPM 16MB cache HDD and a faster graphics card.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. Glad to hear that. I'm not one to go for the latest and greatest, not until I need it and like I said; I'm new to Macs and must learn. Thanks again. BTW, what a great forum this is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep it is a top forum with 99% of contributors being very helpful and no flaming. Send a private message if can help further. Just click ob ny name and options pop up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.