• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need to burn avi files to play in normal DVD player

Reaction score
My neighbor needs help burning .avi files like divx movies and such so they will play in a regular DVD player. He has Toast 9 but needs to convert the files so they will play when he burns them, but I have no idea what format they need to be in or what software i need to use to convert the files. He has an iMac and is running Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
You might need to convert the AVIs into MPGs, then drop them into a Toast DVD video project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4
i just burned an .avi via iDVD and am watching it right now on a regular dvd player, the only thing i didnt like about it is it took about 2 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4
is visualhub substantially faster than iDVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
is visualhub substantially faster than iDVD?

VisualHub only converts a wide variety of formats to more friendly formats.

iMovie cannot accept .avi, therefor does not do the same thing as VH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well magnine said convert and burn with visualhub, speaking about avi's. i use iDVD to do that(not iMovie), but it takes 2-3 hours, but everyone talks about visualhub so i assumed it was faster, which is what prompted my question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
well magnine said convert and burn with visualhub, speaking about avi's. i use iDVD to do that(not iMovie), but it takes 2-3 hours, but everyone talks about visualhub so i assumed it was faster, which is what prompted my question.

O its much faster.

I'm not too sure that iDvd will convert .avi...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly check that his DVD player might support DivX discs

If it does you can just burn the avi discs to a disc and play without re-encoding, and these will just play (most of the time - depends on the codec of the avi file)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
If your DVD player supports Divx then you can simply burn the files as .avi to a dvd and watch them. Alternatively try Toast Titanium. It's not free but definitely worth the money if you're going to be doing this a lot.

Either that or download Burn. It's free and does pretty much anything. I havnt tried it out with encoding and burning DVDs so cant comment on how good it is, but definitely worth a shot....it is free after all :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.