Question about Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008- Mac Pro 2.8ghz-8 Core, 10Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800GT Card, 2x 500Gig HD, 2x Dell 2408 Screens
Hi,
I will be doing the switch this coming Tuesday. I will be ordering my first Mac. A Mac Pro to be exact. I thinking about purchasing a Dell 24" Ultra Sharp Display (2408WFP) to use with my new Mac...these two will be compatibile, correct? Is anyone using this display or anyother besides the ones Apple produces? Just want to know if it will work. I currently am Using a 2407WFP with my dell computer and very happy with it. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
my 20" Dell monitor works just fine with my MacBook, any monitor (including yours) should work as long as you have the right connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Pretty much any monitor will work with a mac. You made a great choice of a display. The problem that you may have with it, which is what I have with my panel (it's an HP, but still) it may not come with mac drivers. This doesn't mean color reproduction or anything stinks. You'll get it working just like any monitor.

The problem with not having those drivers is that you won't be able to do portrait mode, which I would've LOVED if my monitor could do it. If that was your clincher to buy the monitor, you may have to look elsewhere, but bang for buck you made a good choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The problem with not having those drivers is that you won't be able to do portrait mode, which I would've LOVED if my monitor could do it. If that was your clincher to buy the monitor, you may have to look elsewhere, but bang for buck you made a good choice.

Whaddya need special drivers for to do Portrait mode? The Displays preference panel has an option to rotate the display 90° in either direction. At least it does in Leopard, and I don't even have a monitor capable of physically rotating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
The drivers have it so it rotates automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The drivers have it so it rotates automatically.

That's awful convenient, but that wouldn't stop anyone from being able to manually make that change and then rotate the display to use portrait mode, now would it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never said it would, I just said it's one of the cons, just like any review on any device. He asked if it would work, I said it will work, but just not fully.

Also, because it doesn't do it automatically, most would get turned off to do it (not buy it). I know because I have to go through a tedious way of going to portrait mode, I just don't bother with it. Would be nice if I could turn it and in a second it does it for me for the rare times I would want it, but oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never said it would, I just said it's one of the cons, just like any review on any device. He asked if it would work, I said it will work, but just not fully.

Actually you did say that:

The problem with not having those drivers is that you won't be able to do portrait mode

Not trying to give you a hard time, but you did make a misstatement and I'm just trying to set the record straight for clarity's sake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fine. Point still remains that the OP wants to know if it's compatible, I say it's not compatible in the sense that it may not do a feature, at least, automatically. There's always ways to make things do it. Heck, I can do it on this laptop with a few clicks of the mouse, but maybe not when you just flip the panel and it detects it. I'm sure there are others that wouldn't bother to try to put a monitor to portrait mode if they have to do it tediously. But the drivers may not be mac compatible, that's the crux of my initial post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.