Help, Webcam on Windows messenger but on a Mac computer obviously

Reaction score
I have a mac , And i want to use the in built camera as a webcam but it doesnt show up and wont work on msn ...

Does anyone know any way of working it ...??\
\

Thank you

OP
M
Reaction score
MSN And WEBCAM

I have an in built camera in my mac computer and it wont work as a webcam is this normal ? if not how do i make it a webcam and use it with MSN live because at the mo it doesnt have mine or my friends webcam icons..

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
First off, I don't think you needed to post the same question in two separate boards. It will get read, trust me.

Mac Messenger is available for the Mac, however, I'm not sure about being able to use isight. You can use it through the AIM IM service, though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
-Nevermind, Misinformation-

Reaction score
Try downloading Adium, I'm not sure, but I think it will detect your Webcam and is compatible with Windows Messenger.

I just double checked, Adium doesn't support audio or video messeging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try downloading Adium, I'm not sure, but I think it will detect your Webcam and is compatible with Windows Messenger.
You can use a webcam with Adium? I can't find that feature at all. It's the main reason I use iChat. I still can't find that feature on Adium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah my apologies, try this, Yahoo! Messenger, I believe it will do what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
MSN doesn't support video on macs...

Reaction score
Camera support in Mac IM software is surprisingly sparse. iChat has it of course, but the ones I'd most expect to have it (MSN Messenger and Adium) don't have it.

I tried Mercury IM which has a working camera function, but no audio, and it used really large amounts of RAM. I went back to MSN Messenger and gave up on the webcam for now. Supposedly MS is working on a new Mac Messenger, maybe that will have camera support.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Adium is also working on support for Audio and Video chat. So with time Adium will support video. In the mean time iChat works great as does the new Yahoo Beta for OSX. Yahoo had done video for quite some time but with no audio. The latest Beta of Yahoo has sound and even phone calls.

Reaction score
Open MSN , the go to preferences.

Go through every option there. anything that might enable the cam mess with. This is MSN it wont mess your laptop up if anything being a member of windows it will give up and keel over but just re-open it and it will be fine.

if non of the preferences work then open your system preferences on your dock and have a look at your settings for the cam, I am sure there is a little option there that says something similar to.. "enable web cam sharing" or video cam.

Hope that helps :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,
but if i get yahoo messenger etc... doesnt that mean all my friends would have to have the same one to talk to me on it ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Thanks everyone,
but if i get yahoo messenger etc... doesnt that mean all my friends would have to have the same one to talk to me on it ?

Yes, they would have to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can sign in using your Windows Live name in Yahoo! Messenger.

Reaction score
there are some messengers like yahoo messenger that do accept most emails ranging from hotmail to gmail.

If you was to download yahoo messenger your friends would not have to do the same, as long as they have your email in there IM chat list and you have them in yours yahooandMSNnormally do the rest.

these other messengers were made for such purposes as linking to any other messenger service. just find one that supports your cam if my previous advice doesnt work :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.