VS iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.5G, 10.5
I will be using CS3, After Effects, Final Cut and various animation software. I love my PowerBook G4, but I know I am going to have to upgrade to not spend hours rendering. I would like to spend 2500 or less and am not scared of installing Ram. (I upgraded my hard drive in my PowerBook myself....):D

I can't decide between the Mac Pro or iMac. There are deals out there for refurbed 2.66 Pros and displays, but the 2.8 iMac with the 750G drive almost seems like a better bang for your buck unless you consider the upgrade capabilities of the Pro. Or do you suggest running programs off an external hard drive with the 350G iMac. I also am concerned about listed issues with the iMac's screen....

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Are you fully considering that the Mac Pro has four processor cores to the iMac's two? That makes a serious difference in AfterEffects or any 3D animation work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The pro 2.66 will be faster than an iMac 2.8 due to the extra cores. Also the Pro has a vastly larger max ram 32Gb (I know apple state 16Gb for the 2.66 but it isnt it IS 32Gb), better graphics card, 4 x hard drive bays and 2 optical drive bays plus a CHOICE of monitors. Its no contest !!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.