Cannot auto-connect to Airport on TC

Reaction score
This questions may have already been asked and answered. But I've searched hard and cannot find it.

By way of background, I have only one computer: a MacBookPro2,2. I don't specifically remember - but it is old enough (about one year) that I think it has only a Wireless b/g networking card. Previously, I connected the MacBook to the internet wirelessly, using a Westell wireless b/g router that also functions as my DSL modem. I had no problems connecting to the internet, and my MacBook would log into my wireless network automatically on bootup. However, the connection would drop intermittently. I should also mention that I live in a NYC apartment. There are several wireless networks within range. So the airspace here is crowded. But my signal strength was always strong (3-4 bars).

About a month ago, I bought a 1 TB Time Capsule (TC). I turned off wireless networking on the Westell (i.e., it now functions only as my DSL modem and an ethernet router), and connected the TC to it with an ethernet cable. I connected to Macbook to the TC with another ethernet cable, and proceeded to set up TC with the AirPort utility on my MacBook. I configured the TC to connect to the internet in bridge mood via the ethernet, and set up a NEW wireless network. Then I shut down my MacBook, disconnected the ethernet, and rebooted. I was able to manually connect to the new wireless network without any problem. Using the Networking control panel, I made sure that the new wireless network was on top of my list of my preferred networks, and I deleted the old network from that list.

Everything works fine EXCEPT my MacBook will not log into the new wireless network automatically on bootup or after going to sleep. Instead, I get a window announcing that none of my preferred networks is available, and asking me to manually select a network. My network is always on the list and, when I select it, my MacBook connects without problem. I have five bars of signal, so signal strength isn't a problem. In fact, I don't have the intermittent drops that I had using the Westell router. So I want to keep using TC as my wireless router.

This isn't a critical problem, since I can always connect manually. But it annoys the **** out of me. Anyone know a way to fix it?

Using the Airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Some had a similar problem here before and he/she himself posted the resolution but i am not able to find that thread now. However i stil remember that they deleted their keychain file and recreated a new one which fixed the issue. So you can give it a try too.

Mac OS X: How to remove and recreate an inaccessible keychain
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106973

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.