Norton AntiVirus error

Reaction score
I have migrated all my apps to my new iMac, running 10.5 but i have an error message that appears on start up

Norton AntiVirus Error
Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect could not continue. Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus and restart.

I have uninstalled Norton but I still get the message, I have deleted all Norton files too but it still comes up and I just want to get rid of the error message.

Where is this file coming from? And how can i delete it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Try CMD-F to search for anything with "Norton" in the name.

IMO if you find any - delete them all and throw away the disc, Norton is voodoo for Mac again IMO.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Does Norton use an installer? If so, did you use Nortons un-installer or just move it to the trash?

If you just moved it to the trash - suggest re-installing and then use it's un-installer.

And then, don't put Norton on your Mac, pretty please!!!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Norton is terrible i agree,

I re installed to use the uninstaller but this hasn't worked so I downloaded the uninstaller from Norton and it found nothing, I have deleted every Norton/Symantec file I can see and find but it still brings up the 'error' message on restart.

They have really made this a hard one to fix must be a pref file that has an obscure name but I cannot find it for the life of me. Any one have any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Accounts

Check the Login Items tab and see if Norton put something there to auto start itself and is not removing it during the un-install routine. It could be trying to still start at boot-up or login even though it's been removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
If all else fails ... and I hate to say this ... maybe a fresh install is in order?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Finally I did it, found the Norton Master Uninstaller, this gets rid off all Norton (I'm going to ruin your mac and put files every where so you can't ever remove them without a degree in metaphysics) Applications

Use this here....

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2002110814042611

Download and run RemoveSymantecMacFiles

its called RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip

It's a script so run it, it removes all trace of NAV and other terrible Norton products.

Thank U God! Thank U God! Thank U God! Thank U God! Thank U God!

At last I can get on with my life again after wasting 5 hours of my Saturday. No thanks to Norton Symanshite!!!

Hope this helps other fellow Mac Warriors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Playing with the title of this thread, in my opinion, Norton Antivirus is an error!

Reaction score
Hi Zippoloko,

I'm George from Norton and I'm glad you have fixed your problem. If you ever encounter issues with Norton products in the future, feel free to contact me at geohen1[at]gmail[dot]com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.