Fan Replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 2006 - 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM -
Hi, my mac has been crashing a lot lately and a few people gave me some advice that it was probably overheating.

I downloaded a program, SmcFanControl which seems to have helped with the problem but it's still crashing on the odd occurance, even during start up.

What i'd like to know if people can help, is where's the place place to get it serviced or get a fan replaced? I am no longer under warranty so thought apple would be very expensive.

Please help guys :)

A

M

MacHeadCase

One thing to do here is not hand it over to someone who never or hardly ever repairs Macs : that would be a total mistake.

If you don't want to take it to Apple (they'd certainly be the most qualified), take it to an Apple certified repair shop that way you'll know the people looking into the problem know : what they are doing, what to test in your Mac, how to test your Mac and which parts to change and order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Is the fan working? iStat will tell you.

I expect it is to be honest and I doubt you're suffering from overheating. I don't know of any case of an overheating iMac, just plenty of cases being obsessed with the temperature of the thing and messing about with the fans for no reason at all.

Chances are the memory, hard drive or power supply are the problems.

Please tell us when it crashes. Just certain programs or will it crash if you leave it and return to it half an hour later?

Can you take a screenshot of Activity Monitor. It might give us some clues.

Is your memory in 2x 512mb sticks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.