parallels + windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I am planning on buying parallels to run windows on my MBP...my questions are:

1. Is it worth getting parallels premium vs just normal parallels??

2. What version of windows should I put on there?? I have had a lot of trouble with vista and most programs should run on XP for a long time, right?

3. How much is a version of windows xp and vista? While I was looking, it seemed for either was around $200. But other people have told me more like $90. These are what I have found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837116194

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-FULL-VERSION/dp/B00022PTRU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1208574130&sr=8-1

So to me, these appear to be the same thing, but one is significantly more expensive.

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
I am planning on buying parallels to run windows on my MBP...my questions are:

1. Is it worth getting parallels premium vs just normal parallels??

You get some Tools like Acronis disk partioner etc etc. You can check that out in www.parallels.com. I personaly dont need those stuff so i just got Parallels Desktop for MAC 3.0. I am sure you will not need it either. plus check out www.macupdate.com which has a package of 10 or some apps for 49$ which includes parallels but there is a catch. Read throughly before you buy from macupdate.

2. What version of windows should I put on there?? I have had a lot of trouble with vista and most programs should run on XP for a long time, right?

XP home and XP pro must be you choices. Yes most programs should run on XP just fine. I dont see XP going anywhere for the next 2,3 years atleast.

3. How much is a version of windows xp and vista? While I was looking, it seemed for either was around $200. But other people have told me more like $90. These are what I have found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837116194

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-FULL-VERSION/dp/B00022PTRU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1208574130&sr=8-1

So to me, these appear to be the same thing, but one is significantly more expensive.

Thank you for your help!

So there goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
The one that is $99 is just an upgrade.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
It looks like to buy windows XP OEM it is only $80 - $90 but hardware must be bought with it??? Am i able to buy some cheap hardware and get this software?? If so, what would I buy?? Or am I looking at paying $200 for software??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Normal will do.
The only good version of Vista is Ultimate, about $186USD:)Evil:)
If you get Vista Ultimate I recommend some reading.
In terms of XP go for Pro, about $140USD:)Evil:)

By the way: Only install this if you need it, I installed Paralells and XP Pro on my MacBook Pro. It slows the computer significantly (only when the virtual machine is running), the only way it's even decent is on Coherence, and even then you struggle to open an app like iChat without tearing out your hair.
It also eats up a portion of your HD, It's not significant, but, it's that much less media you can put on it.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok...i just need xp to do a few basic things that I can't do on OS x because of compatibility issues....I am still confused on how much I am looking to pay...

I will probably only need to access windows about once a week...except...my printer does not have a mac driver available so I need to print it through windows...but it isn't a problem booting into windows through bootcamp to print something off quick...and don't want to spend the extra money on parallels if I don't have to.

Do people think that parallels is completely worth it?? Do you think in the long run I would end up wanting to be able to pop open windows quick to do things instead?? I might.

So, prices on windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
...except...my printer does not have a mac driver available so I need to print it through windows...

What sort of printer do you have? Sometimes it's possible to use generic or compatible drivers when there isn't a specific driver for your printer, or someone here might have the same printer and has found a workaround. Worth a try ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Do people think that parallels is completely worth it?? Do you think in the long run I would end up wanting to be able to pop open windows quick to do things instead?? I might.

I'm not sure about Parallels, but I do know that VMWare's Fusion lets you "pause" the Windows virtual machine before exiting the program. When you next run Fusion, you just resume your Windows session where you left off. It's a lot faster than having to run the emulator and then booting Windows inside it each time.

Another option you might want to consider is Crossover. This lets you run some Windows apps/games without Windows. Support is hit or miss... some apps run great, some so-so, others not at all. If what you need to use will work to your satisfaction under Crossover, it is *the* way to go. No need to buy Windows; faster application startup time; Crossover takes up very minimal resources from your system.

Reaction score
My 2 cents, I don't think buying windows and parallels is worth it. I installed it to try it out and I never use it. I understand some people might have programs that only run on Windows, but I've never run across a situation where I couldn't find a Mac equivalent to a piece of software that I wanted. But I'm also an artist not a business woman, so design apps are aplenty on Mac :)

Crossover sounds like a much better deal if it'll support the programs you want.

Reaction score
I use Parallels (and VM Fusion) on a daily basis. Both benefit from as much RAM as possible.

I run mainly Vista (Home Premium) and XP Pro. I bought Vista to see if the Readyboost function would overcome my dearth of RAM (only 2Gb).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
getuptogetdown,

The version belunos cited just above is the same version I bought. You don't need to buy anything extra with it (like a cable) since you will be putting it on hardware that you already have - your Mac.

It's also the correct version - 32bit, full install, with SP2.

Go for that one, the price is right. Some of the others that you can get a little cheaper are probably international versions that never got sold in that market. Thy will work, but you never know what you're going to get...

Noel

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome. Everyone has been a lot of help. I am going to get that $90 version to put on my mac. I am probably going to get parallels basic so if I have something to print or just need to grab a file or whatever I can have windows right there if I need it. I searched for discussions with my printer with no luck...I'm at home and it's at school so I can't tell you what it is right now.

When using parallels....I can open and close it when I need it correct??

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
awesome. Everyone has been a lot of help. I am going to get that $90 version to put on my mac. I am probably going to get parallels basic so if I have something to print or just need to grab a file or whatever I can have windows right there if I need it. I searched for discussions with my printer with no luck...I'm at home and it's at school so I can't tell you what it is right now.

When using parallels....I can open and close it when I need it correct??

thanks

Yup it's just like any other program,you open it when you want to use it and close it when your good luck :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.