Need help reviving an a1010...

Reaction score
hi, i've been a pc user my whole life, don't know my way around a mac all that well but i know my way around and inside desktop pcs...i recently acquired a 1ghz powerbook that's seen better days...it makes loud whirring sounds when powering up, and doesn't get past the apple logo on the screen. the sounds seem to be coming from the hard drive area, so i'm looking to replace the HDD with something a bit larger, expand the memory while i have it all split open because i've been told that apple products are tricky to tinker with. that and it being a 12" laptop i'm sure everything's very tightly packed in there so i don't want to have to do it again. I'm really excited to start this project, but i have a question, are there certain ata100 harddrives built specifically for mac? will the seagate ST9160821A be ok?

OP
P
Reaction score
also, i just purchased a 1GB kingston memory upgrade for it, with the added boost would osx tiger run sufficiently??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
EveryMac.com is a pretty nifty website that seems to have all the technical details you might ever need. Just find your specific model and check out what there is to say about the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.