• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

tv shows not playing in iTunes

Reaction score
Anyone ever have this problem??... I can't get my MacBook to play my downloaded tv shows on iTunes. I'm just getting a grey screen. They used to play just fine, just stopped. I have most of them backed up on a portable hard drive, but I'm not even sure how to get them back into iTunes. It's kind of bumming me out, cause I like carrying my fav show on my MacBook!

Lori

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just a wild guess on my own, but have you reinstalled your OS or anything like that? I'm suspecting that your iTunes account is no longer active on your computer for some reason, or at least the user account you are using. If that's the case, the shows won't play due to DRM restrictions. You'd need to re-authorize your computer using the iTunes account that the shows were purchased under.

OP
LGithens
Reaction score
Just a wild guess on my own, but have you reinstalled your OS or anything like that? I'm suspecting that your iTunes account is no longer active on your computer for some reason, or at least the user account you are using. If that's the case, the shows won't play due to DRM restrictions. You'd need to re-authorize your computer using the iTunes account that the shows were purchased under.

No haven't reinstalled anything. And I had already tried reauthorizing my computer. Everything else works ok in Itunes. All my purchased music, misc. videos I've downloaded. Only my tv shows won't play. All purchased.

Lori

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmmmm. Try creating a new user, log into that user, re-enter your iTunes account information under that user, and try those videos again.

Reaction score
Hey, I'm having this exact same problem.... anyone ever find a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Will they play in quicktime or VLC?

Reaction score
video gray screen

I'm using 10.6 all updates on 17" PBPro and am getting gray screen. Anymore thoughts thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm using 10.6 all updates on 17" PBPro and am getting gray screen. Anymore thoughts thanks.

This thread is 2 years old and i believe you might get a better response if you started your own thread and gave us some more detail to your problem ....

Just a thought :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.