Virus', spyware, trojans

T

The Giver

Can you get any of those? I have Norton.. but I can't really trust it? Do I have to worry about viruses and stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
No. Not unless you need to network your Mac to Windows systems. I don't recommend Norton on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
witeshark said:
No. Not unless you need to network your Mac to Windows systems. I don't recommend Norton on Mac

there are currently no viruses for mac os x, though some windows viruses can affect files on your mac and cause corruption. Norton has gotten bad recently, and actually does more damage than good in most cases. I use intego virus barrier in case of a pc virus finding its way onto my mac. norton even started several rumor about new viruses on mac to boost sales. theres like 1 trojan horse on mac, but it was squashed by the last security update, and theres a sorta virus, but you sorta have to be tricked into installing it, its more of a scriptlike
entity, one that automatically deletes your files.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
There are around 5-10 Mac OS X viruses, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
None of them true virus/worms, as the real thing needs the windows registry. And what has existed has no way to circumvent permissions :alien:

OP
M

m1k

there are currently no viruses for mac os x, though some windows viruses can affect files on your mac and cause corruption. Norton has gotten bad recently, and actually does more damage than good in most cases. I use intego virus barrier in case of a pc virus finding its way onto my mac. norton even started several rumor about new viruses on mac to boost sales. theres like 1 trojan horse on mac, but it was squashed by the last security update, and theres a sorta virus, but you sorta have to be tricked into installing it, its more of a scriptlike
entity, one that automatically deletes your files.

I once got a Windows virus from looking at nekked wemmun ;)

But I just deleted it and scanned my system with Norton and the world was back to normal.

Norton does suck though, it automatically scans on mount (for everything, every time!) I finally turned it off because it was so annoying. And the LiveUpdate window stays on top of all the other windows, and you can't minimize it. ARGHH!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hmm.. Viruses.. Yummie!

OP
C

code777

that's what i say, the kid at the apple store begged to differ, telling me i HAVE to get .mac for the virus protection blah blah how macs can get a lot of viruses, trojan horses, etc... i think he was new or he was hoping i would buy .mac... whatever

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.