EDGE Connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
Ok, I am having the darndest time with EDGE and I just want to know if I'm the only one or what. I have problems with my iPhone not being able to connect to the server when I'm trying to surf over EGDE. For a while I thought it was an AT&T problem. I was having problems with reception and EDGE connectivity at random times throughout the day, but when I was having it, I would grab my gf's new 16 gb iPhone and she'd have 5 bars and no EDGE issues at all. So we went to Apple and told them my problem and they said it might possibly be an antenna issue in the phone. So they just swapped it out with with a new 8 gb phone since mine is still under warranty.

So here I am with a new iPhone, and two days after I get it I'm having the same issue. I tend to have great reception (comparable to my gf's iPhone), but EGDE connections come and go at random it seems. And again, my gf's phone is having no issue. I plan to go back to Apple again, but I just wanted to know if I'm the only one having this issue and if anyone else has been able to fix the problem.

I'm in Dallas btw...

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Do you have wifi on? I find that my 4G iPhone will always favor wifi. If I'm in an area where I don't have access to a free wifi network, I simply turn it off, and EDGE works like a champ. When I'm in a wifi area (home, work, Apple store, or someplace where I have free wifi access), I use that and the connectivity is excellent.

The alternative - I leave wifi on - is that I'll try to connect to a website, for instance, and it will take forever as it searches for a wifi connection. "Forever" in this case can be 20 to 30 seconds.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Also, some with similar problems have had some success with removing the SIM card and replacing it as it may not be seated properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've never had an antenna issue. I'm on my third phone now due to other issues.

The only EDGE issues I've had were known AT&T issues that were fixed that day.

OP
breadfan35
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
Do you have wifi on? I find that my 4G iPhone will always favor wifi. If I'm in an area where I don't have access to a free wifi network, I simply turn it off, and EDGE works like a champ. When I'm in a wifi area (home, work, Apple store, or someplace where I have free wifi access), I use that and the connectivity is excellent.

Wi-Fi will work fine, but I do not have it set to automatically connect when it detects a network. I have it set so that I have to access it manually. My only issue is with EDGE. Today alone it has stopped working on me 5 different times.

Another thing is that most times that it happens, if I shut the phone off and turn it back on, then EDGE will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.