Case insensitive or sensitive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,2GHz, 18GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT
Where can I check whether my hard drives are case insensitive or sensitive?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
hard drives are not case sensitive or insensitive, operating systems are.

FAT and NTFS are not, UNIX/Linux typically is.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,2GHz, 18GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT
Okey, hmm... This one music software that I installed told me to put the samples into "case insensitive hard drive". If the hard drive would be "case sensitive", then the program wouldn´t be able to read the samples... So I´m kinda confused still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
My results from testing are that HFS+, the native Mac format, allows you to use different cases in file names, and will remember and display them that way. However, it does not differentiate between upper case and lower case when dealing with the resulting file name.

To demonstrate this, try creating a folder on your desktop called "Test Folder". Now try to create another one called "test folder". The case is different between them, but the letters are the same. At least on Tiger, it will not allow you to create "test folder", telling you that this name is already in use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The most common Mac hard disk format, as mac57 demonstrated, is case-insensitive (but case preserving.)

It is possible to format a disk using a case-sensitive version of HFS+, but you would probably remember doing it if you had. (If you're just using the hard disk that came in your Mac, and you haven't ever erased and reformatted it, then it's case-insensitive.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.