Give your iBook a vacation...

T

The Giver

Can you give your apple to the apple store, leave it for a day, and they can spruce it up... like fully cleaning it, and deleting extra files you don't need to make it faster and etc? Or, are there programs you can buy to delete excess files...etc?

OP
T

tariq

what files do you want to delete? just trash them yourself, its easy.
if you don't have anything to delete and you're running out of hard drive space, consider buying an external hard drive and storing your data there.

also, download cocktail (http://www.macosxcocktail.com/) and repair permissions and run the cron scripts. beyond that, i dont think you'll be able to make it any faster except by adding more RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I would do what tariq suggested. Plus, you would give and be without your Mac for a full day?? On purpose?? NO WAY!!

OP
C

CaptainMack

i have never heard of anything like that. i would deffinely want to do it if they did have it. i have an old imac g3 that would really bennifit from this :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Is suggest trying onyx, the only files, if any, you should delete are extra files YOU create, unless youre thinking of a defrag style cleaning, which is totally unneccessary on mac.

OP
T

The Giver

I just noticed that all my programs are slower than they used to be....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That might also be due to extra programs you have running in the background.

Check your 'startup items' to see if any apps are loading automatically on login that you don't need.

these often include things such as: printer utilities, virus scanners,etc...

Turn these off to free up useable memory...

Also try dumping any apps you have, but NEVER use...

Appleworks, Garageband, chess all spring to mind (most people use MS office, not everyone uses garageband...)

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

rberry88 said:
I would do what tariq suggested. Plus, you would give and be without your Mac for a full day?? On purpose?? NO WAY!!

Right now that i dont use Mac, i cant stay away from Apple.com, when i have it, i think it will be impossible for me to leave the iBook for a day. Thats the reason i am getting an iSight, to pass it as a camera when i go on vacation.

OP
S

sonicj

if its been a while on the same os load. i recommend backing up your files and settings on a external drive. do a clean install of your os and then re apply your files and setting. its like a fresh pair of undies!

OP
V

vuschejan

sonicj said:
if its been a while on the same os load. i recommend backing up your files and settings on a external drive. do a clean install of your os and then re apply your files and setting. its like a fresh pair of undies!
Do you have to manually put all of the settings and things from the back up drive or is there like a DMG file that will do it for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think if you backup to an external drive, you can tell your mac to transfer all your old preferences and apps from there.

That would require backing up the ENTIRE drive though.

I know you can just transfer personal settings from one mac to another by booting it in firewire mode and telling OS X setup to get your old settings from the firewire booted machine...

Anyone ever tried this?

OP
C

code777

don't want to sound mean but i wouldn't trust many people at the Apple Store near me. This past summer I met a guy and this girl who knew their stuff and helped me with Powerbooks but last week when I decided to buy an iBook the kid had no idea what he was talking about. I mean he was making stuff up, he thought all iBooks came Bluetooth ready and that all of them had 1.5Ghz processors. Oh and how about the 14" model has a better resolution than the 12". "It has more pixles my man!"

Although I got suckered into purchasing 256 for $100 at their store (they put it in) I wasn't happy with how they left my keyboard "open" and unlocked on the bottom.

I'm not too sure if i'd let anyone at that store fool with the OS as all these sales kids (majority of them are 19 and in college...) only know iPod, that is it.

search the 'net there is a wealth of knowledge to keep your Mac happy and efficent!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.