• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is Disk Utility image creator reliable for DVD movies?

T

Toanjii

Hello everyone.

Just to follow on my previous post about DVD player crashing while trying.

Do you think it is because of copy protection or something that DVD player told me to "restart the computer by holding down the power button for several seconds" (in several languages)? A panic.log file was generated too (see my last post in OS X - operating system forum).

The story is that I was making a DVD image of Resident Evil so I can watch at camp without needing to bring the disks. This was the first of many movie I want to make image of but stopped after it crashed my comp.

Is disk utility reliable method of making images? Or does it suffer from copy protection?

Also, what are the settings to use for backing up DVD movies. I used DVD/CD master with no encryption and I got a *.cdr file. Is this wrong?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Toan.

OP
T

Toanjii

Hi,

Thank you for you response. I have read part of that thread and it has been very useful. And I have made a hard drive backup of Resident Evil with those instructions.

What I was meaning to ask is whether the image made using disk utility with those settings (DVD/CD master) is causing DVD Player to crash or kernel panic. Or is it something more serious with my hardware?

Also, just want to check if it's ok to play the image from another partition rather than the one's OS X is on? Could being on a different partition cause DVD Player to crash?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.