What is the best download manager for Mac? Kinda lost :(

Reaction score
Hey there. After complaining about Microsoft's softwares and OS and overall performance, I finally decided to join the revolution and got the new macbook pro just 2 days ago.

However, on Windows I used to use Internet Download Manager, the best manager I have ever used. However, far as i know there is no mac version for IDM.

So far I have used iGetter, it's good but I wasn't that impressed. Anyone care to suggest some please?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
OP
S
Reaction score
Hey, I already have downloaded Firefox, and added some extensions and blocked ads and what not. However, I prefer to use a standalone app for download management.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Reaction score
hello
help me to find free internet download manager, please :( when downloading until the middle, it always stops by itself and have to start over from scratch.. really need your help.. lazy to wait for the download untill finish.. thanks :)

C

chas_m

Speed Download = causes more problems than it solves. We get about one post a week from someone having "weird" problems, then they uninstall SD and the problem disappears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep away from all speed download managers. Your Macxcan handle the task better and faster on its own.

Reaction score
I'm looking at Speed Download. It's all a real crap shoot. I missed Orbit.

Reaction score
sorry for bringing up an old thread.

Is there any program that has the youtube video grabber like Internet Download Manager..I like the connivence of downloading the video while I watch it instead of using a second site and manually entering the URL to download the video.

For those who use IDM on windows should know what i mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I don't quite know what you mean, but does Fastest Tube do what you want?

You can download it here... YouTube downloader tool - Fastesttube!

Edit - If I understand what you're saying, it does exactly what you want. After installing the extension, a box appears under the Youtube video and will be available to download.

Reaction score
I don't quite know what you mean, but does Fastest Tube do what you want?

You can download it here... YouTube downloader tool - Fastesttube!

Edit - If I understand what you're saying, it does exactly what you want. After installing the extension, a box appears under the Youtube video and will be available to download.

Thanks for the reply, sounds exactly like what I needed!

Reaction score
Exactly what I was looking for too but it doesn't work with Chrome.

Which seriously sucks.

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to work with Safai either.

Does Safari even do multiple tabs? How?

I absolutely hate trying to watch vids stopping and starting, so use IDM to download them first. If doing that on a mac means having to use that POS Firefox then it's a real deal-breaker. I'd rather use Internet Explorer 6...

I'm trying to like my Mac but keep banging my head on things like this.

I'll try the app store later but this really is a black mark against the Mac for me. I can put up with all sorts of things but if I have to go back to where I have to "stream" video, circa 1990's, dependent upon my net connection? No, just &^%$ no.

*grumpy face*

C

chas_m

Doesn't seem to work with Safai either.

Yes it works with Safari. I use it probably five times a month.

Does Safari even do multiple tabs? How?

Yes it does. Turn on tabs (if they're not already on) in the preferences and then click on the "plus sign" at the far right side of your URL bar. Or press command-t. Or just set the preference that all new windows open in tabs and click links as normal.

I absolutely hate trying to watch vids stopping and starting

This should not be happening. Upgrade your internet package -- I'm on 15Mb down and never see videos stop/start anymore.

I'll try the app store later but this really is a black mark against the Mac for me.

Good thing it's all easily fixable lack of user awareness then.

I can put up with all sorts of things but if I have to go back to where I have to "stream" video, circa 1990's, dependent upon my net connection? No, just &^%$ no.

*grumpy face*

Sorry, I'm confused by this statement. How exactly do you expect to easily watch streaming video without streaming it? Do you seriously intend to download every video you watch before you watch it?

Talk about un-Mac-like and backward ...

Reaction score
Right now I DO download the majority of vids before watching them, yes.

If I'm on liveleak or somewhere I'll open interesting vids in a new tab, as soon as they start playing click the little blue Download button from IDM. From there I may close the tab or read comments or whatever but no, I don't usually try to watch videos directly streaming.

I'm on the island of Borneo. Throwing more money at my ISP won't change anything.

What DOES change things is using IDM, because then it opens multiple threads and downloads at my ISPs max 150 kb/s, arranging the resulting vid into a single watchable file once downloaded. Opening normally means around 40 to 60 kb/s, which is indeed the land of stop and start.

Besides, it takes just a moment to delete downloaded vids, whereas it can be tricky or impossible to find online vids again. and watching them offline is very tricky indeed...

Happily I've found this, which seem to work with Chrome:

Free YouTube Downloader for Mac-Download YouTube Videos |iSkysoft

It's not as nice as IDM, for example doesn't show the download speed, I don't know if it can pick up and 'resume' a broken download or not, it doesn't download into categories and the download happens behind the scenes instead of being clearly visible on the taskbar. Because there's no taskbar...

It has however nudged my chances of buying a Mac desktop back towards positive (I'd say about 60% at this stage)

Thanks for the tip on Safari - I'll try it later.

P

C

chas_m

Right now I DO download the majority of vids before watching them, yes.

Well now that we know you're on Borneo rather than in a major city, that makes a HUGE difference in how you would approach certain issues, this being one of them. That would have been good to know a while back!

I'm on the island of Borneo. Throwing more money at my ISP won't change anything.

You know more about this than I do, but they don't offer faster download speeds in "tiers" there?

Opening normally means around 40 to 60 kb/s, which is indeed the land of stop and start.

Indeed. In that case, I'd suggest either Fastest Tube (a free extension to Safari) or MacTubes, a free separate program that you copy and past the video ID into and it downloads a copy.

Happily I've found this, which seem to work with Chrome:

iSkySoft (and similarly-named companies) are controlled by Chinese spammers. I don't recommend that route.

Thanks for the tip on Safari - I'll try it later.

You're most welcome.

Reaction score
Top Download manager for Mac OS X

Well, I've gone through the similar situation when I switched from Windows system to Mac. There're so many options available for Windows users but Mac users have very less options. But that doesn't mean, there are no options at all. For me, iGetter and Leech worked best. You can try JDownloader as well. Links deleted

C

chas_m

As was suggested earlier in the list, the best download manager for the Mac is ... none.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.