Running OSX within OSX - A Virtual Machine question...

Reaction score
Hello,
I am sorry if this has been covered already, I didn't see anything related when I searched (poorly perhaps). Anyways, what I would like to do is run Leopard in a virtual machine on my company's laptop that currently has Tiger installed on it. The company will be updating the laptop's OS to Leopard later this year but I would like to be able to run my "own" applications on the laptop without installing applications to the actual computer. I do have admin rights to the machine to do this installation but I am curious as to which application best supports this, Parallels or otherwise. Has anyone had any experience with doing this? Is it possible? Thanks for any input you can provide!

Cheers!
~Dubhead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hello,
I am sorry if this has been covered already, I didn't see anything related when I searched (poorly perhaps). Anyways, what I would like to do is run Leopard in a virtual machine on my company's laptop that currently has Tiger installed on it. The company will be updating the laptop's OS to Leopard later this year but I would like to be able to run my "own" applications on the laptop without installing applications to the actual computer. I do have admin rights to the machine to do this installation but I am curious as to which application best supports this, Parallels or otherwise. Has anyone had any experience with doing this? Is it possible? Thanks for any input you can provide!

Cheers!
~Dubhead

I'm unaware of a virtualization solution for OS X but you could just install and run it from an external hard disk.

HTH
mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You can always try a trial of VMWare Fusion and see if it will let you install Leopard inside it.

OP
D
Reaction score
OSX Server allows virtualization...

this may be a bit of older news but it does appear that Apple officially allows virtualization of OSX Server within VMWare's Fusion software:

VMWare Blog Post

I have not installed VMWare Fusion yet, but it might be curious to see if I could just use Leopard. It doesn't sound like Apple licensing is currently allowing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You can always try a trial of VMWare Fusion and see if it will let you install Leopard inside it.

So far as I know (ie, I opened up Fusion and had a look), it won't let you install another mac os.

I'd go with the external, and just boot from that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.