internet connection sharing with xp machine

Reaction score
i thought i knew how to do this...
i have turned on internet connection sharing on the imac (10.5.2), plugged cat5 cable from imac to xp machine, made sure xp machine gets IP via DHCP. it gets a 192.168.2.x address, saying the gateway is 192.168.2.1, thought the imac is 1.103. so, it won't connect to the internet. what am i missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Make sure that internet connection sharing is not turned on on the XP machine. If you know the address of the Mac, try pinging it to make sure they are seeing each other (Cmd Prompt -> ping 192.168.1.103). Also, you can try doing a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew on the XP machine to make sure it's getting the right address.

Here are some official steps:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html

OP
briang
Reaction score
Make sure that internet connection sharing is not turned on on the XP machine. If you know the address of the Mac, try pinging it to make sure they are seeing each other (Cmd Prompt -> ping 192.168.1.103). Also, you can try doing a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew on the XP machine to make sure it's getting the right address.

Here are some official steps:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html

can't ping the xp machine from the mac, and ICS is turned off on the xp machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Is the firewall on the XP machine turned off? You probably want it on, but for testing/pinging, you'd need to have it turned off for the ping to work (I think).

OP
briang
Reaction score
Is the firewall on the XP machine turned off? You probably want it on, but for testing/pinging, you'd need to have it turned off for the ping to work (I think).

tried with FW turned off and on. no difference :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.