Oddest problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
To start, I have both a iMac and a MacBook so it isn't a one specific computer related problem.

I bought a 7200rpm, 160gb hard drive for my macbook along with a hard drive enclosure for my extra laptop battery (it will be my external hard drive). I have noticed though, if I start up my iMac or MacBook with it connected (plug in and play, no firewire) A) boot up time will take longer B) the computer will not detect the device at all (in disk utility, finder, anywhere) and C) most strangely, my bluetooth connection will not be available.

Just like there is no bluetooth at all in the computer. It simple reads no device in system profiler.

But if I start up the computer without being conected to the device it is fine and reads it properly.

Any idea of what this might be... slow boot up time I can understand, not detected I can't (It is properly formated) understand and the bluetooth is very odd.

Thanks for the time.
Cpt. Morgan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
To start, I have both a iMac and a MacBook so it isn't a one specific computer related problem.

I bought a 7200rpm, 160gb hard drive for my macbook along with a hard drive enclosure for my extra laptop battery (it will be my external hard drive). I have noticed though, if I start up my iMac or MacBook with it connected (plug in and play, no firewire) A) boot up time will take longer B) the computer will not detect the device at all (in disk utility, finder, anywhere) and C) most strangely, my bluetooth connection will not be available.

Just like there is no bluetooth at all in the computer. It simple reads no device in system profiler.

But if I start up the computer without being conected to the device it is fine and reads it properly.

Any idea of what this might be... slow boot up time I can understand, not detected I can't (It is properly formated) understand and the bluetooth is very odd.

Thanks for the time.
Cpt. Morgan

Are you running your old drive from an external power supply? If not and you are drawing too much power from the USB port you may be causing a few problems to the USB controller. This could cause the slower boot as the computer tries over and over to read the drive but gets errors. I am sure that the bluetooth connects internally via the USB subsystem so again this would point that way. Not sure about the firewire problem but again if you are attempting to draw too much power via the USB this could be causing a problem with the firewire or alternatively the computer attempting to read a dodgy USB device at bootup could be causing a software problem with the firewire - All this is purely conjecture though..... Does the drive work with a PC ?? What are you on about in your post about a second battery "along with a hard drive enclosure for my extra laptop battery"?? Most external 2.5" drive cases do run without external power but I have seen problems before (although not quite as extensive as your problems!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.