400 MHz PB G4 battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
I am probably asking this question about 7 years too late. Got my Titanium PB G4 7 years ago and rarely if ever use it other than as a desktop computer and subsequently the battery never has been properly conditioned.
The battery model number is M6091.

Runs pretty well for an old fart with 512 memory, 100g hard drive and superdrive.

When I do take it out of the office, it is for very short periods of time and little use.

Well last night I took it for a Photoshop class at the local university. Had the battery which is 7 years old juiced up to 100%. It did not last 30 minutes of even non-continuous use. Max usage could not have been more than 10 minutes and that includes coming out of sleep.

At about 80% it appeared to go to sleep and would not wake up. I pulled the battery and checked the "remaining power" lights and it barely flickered one light. When I got it back to a power supply it showed 0% and reset my clock to the year 1969 (wish that was true - gas was .22 cents a gallon back then)

So obviously the battery is pretty much worthless. As is a spare that I have. It acted pretty much the same way testing it earlier today.

Getting a replacement battery is possible from a couple different online vendors. One even advertises 5100 ma vs the 4400 or so the standard battery has and for less than an original Apple supplied one. Dare I purchase from a third party vendor?

Does the current conditioning document on Apples site apply to this older style battery?

Should I just purchase a new one and set it aside and only condition/charge it for the first time when I once again am ready to go out of office?

If I had the bucks I would just buy a whole new PB, but $160 for a battery vs $2M for a new PB does not compare.

I know most of you guys weren't even born when I bought this thing, I'm not even sure I was, but I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.