Cleaning the MacBook keyboard?

Reaction score
My macbook's keyboard had been getting a bit dirty with some unfortunate smudges and smears recently and I was wondering if, like a normal keyboard, I can just pop off the keys and put them back on after I clean them. Is this possible, or should I just keep them on and try to steer around them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My macbook's keyboard had been getting a bit dirty with some unfortunate smudges and smears recently and I was wondering if, like a normal keyboard, I can just pop off the keys and put them back on after I clean them. Is this possible, or should I just keep them on and try to steer around them?

Don't pop off the keys, you may find it difficult to get them back on without possibly doing more harm than leaving them dirty.

Take a look here for some answers:

http://www.freemacblog.com/how-to-clean-your-white-macbook/

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Every now and then I shut mine down to run the Mr. Clean over my keyboard. The other day I found myself in a more lighted environment than my home office and as I looked down at my keyboard I was all 'jeez, this computer is filthy!'

There's more to computer maintenance than just software updates when it comes to a Mac. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Any grocery store should carry it John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Cool, I knew I'd seen them around but hadn't paid any attention until now. Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I bought some cleaner at Office Depot, but honestly, I think it's just a little bottle of Windex. I spray a little on a terry cloth towel, wrap it over my finger and all the finger cheese wipes right off. I can clean the whole keyboard and palmrests in less than a minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
My Apple guy in Best Buy recommended Monster ScreenClean to clean my entire Macbook. It works well, but it's fairly expensive compared to things like Windex. A 200ml bottle, with a nice Microfibre cloth, costs about $20 in Best Buy, though it's more expensive other places I've checked (like on-line).

chscag, thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded Keyboard Cleaner and will give it a try.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Folks,

I just downloaded and tried Keyboard Cleaner, a small app which blacks out your screen and disables your keyboard so you can give it a thorough cleaning (Command-Q to get back to normal). It works great. This was a result of checking out chscag's item above, which led me to Keyboard Cleaner. Again, thanks cshcag. Get it here: http://www.freemacware.com/keyboard-cleaner

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
My Apple guy in Best Buy recommended Monster ScreenClean to clean my entire Macbook. It works well, but it's fairly expensive compared to things like Windex. A 200ml bottle, with a nice Microfibre cloth, costs about $20 in Best Buy, though it's more expensive other places I've checked (like on-line).

I also use monster screen cleaner and i'll swear by it. It works very good. I let my friend use it on his white mb and it was shiny again like the first day he bought it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.